Connector/Strain Relief

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
File is too large to attach but here is a link to it.
Page 4 shows order code.
Page 5 shows connector arrangement.
Page 9 shows the shell style you have.
Page 23 is the E/F style shell I'd recommend as replacement.

Mouser link to your exact plug

I'd recommend this as replacement
What is the difference between what you recommend vs original?
Thanks!

Shaneyj

Occupation
Project Engineer
What is the difference between what you recommend vs original?
Thanks!

Yours is a 3106A… the “A” means it’s an open backshell designed to be overmolded.
The 3106E or 3106F has a screw clamp on the backshell to provide strain relief on your cable assembly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shaneyj

Occupation
Project Engineer
Yours is a 3106A… the “A” means it’s an open backshell designed to be overmolded.
The 3106E or 3106F has a screw clamp on the backshell to provide strain relief on your cable assembly.

Also, the A doesn’t have any environmental protection. That is meant to be obtained by the overmolding.
The E/F versions have a plastic and rubber insert in the backshell that provide ingress protection

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician

So I wouldn't need an additional Kellum strain relief?

Shaneyj

Occupation
Project Engineer
So I wouldn't need an additional Kellum strain relief?
Tension strain is covered by connector thread and back shell, which is what a kellum would cover.
If there is more than 3-5 lbs in sheer (cable weight hanging perpendicular to connector) I'd find a way to support that.

Brush up those soldering skills! Yours is a large (8 awg) contact size so it shouldn't be too tedious to get into.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Tension strain is covered by connector thread and back shell, which is what a kellum would cover.
If there is more than 3-5 lbs in sheer (cable weight hanging perpendicular to connector) I'd find a way to support that.

Brush up those soldering skills! Yours is a large (8 awg) contact size so it shouldn't be too tedious to get into.
Just got the connector in. It came with no instructions. I can probably figure it out but thought you or someone might be able to guide me some.
Here is how it came out of the bag............

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Left to right, top to bottom
1. seems to be what cord goes thru, maybe part of strain relief
2. bottom of connector where cord enters, where cord clamp goes
3. seems to be a cover for solder connections
4. cord clamp/strain relief
5. main body where wires get soldered
6. i think that was just a cover/retainer over the main body for shipping
7. Ring that screws onto male pins on machine

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I think I can figure out the asbly but I do have a question. Part #2 screws onto part #5, problem is, after the wires are soldered into the pins and the cord is running thru, how would you screw the two parts together without the wire/cord twisting? The pins seem to be pressed in. If they were loose, there would be no problem.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I believe this is the way it goes, but will have the cord/wires running through.
I think that if I leave the clamp loose I can screw the parts together without the wires twisting.

Last edited:

Todd0x1

I believe this is the way it goes, but will have the cord/wires running through.
I think that if I leave the clamp loose I can screw the parts together without the wires twisting.

leave the clamp completely off of the backshell, then install it after the connector is assembled.

Todd0x1

Looks good, your customer must be quite happy! Might want to adjust the the kellems grip so its tight on the cable and is taking most of the strain, looks a little loose.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Looks good, your customer must be quite happy! Might want to adjust the the kellems grip so its tight on the cable and is taking most of the strain, looks a little loose.
I adjusted it when they tested the equipment. The clamp is also considered a strain relief. Also, they told me they don't handle the ring by the connector but had some previous workers that did.

That connector doesn't leave much room for soldering!