Consultants

Status
Not open for further replies.

renosteinke

Mike recently circulated an E-mail from a hired consultant, who had some very basic questions about power quality.
While I give the man credit for asking, isn't it outrageous to be offering an expert opinion (isn't that what consultants do?) on something he knows nothing about?

ron

Re: Consultants

Unfortunately there are lots of consultants that take on projects they might not be proficient at. On that same note, there are electricians that do the same.
There have been plenty of both, when reviewing a drawing that they are not comfortable with, say they understand anyway to save face.
How many "light commercial trained" engineers and electricians know about VFD's, or power factor correcting capacitors, or electronic trip units on a 4000A circuit breaker, etc. Again, on that same note, not many "data center trained engineers and electricians" know about the fishing wires in a finished wall without breaking the sheetrock apart, or how many recepts are required on a kitchen island. You get the idea.

bphgravity

"The only bad questions are the ones that are not asked." Those that never seek more education or more information are the ones that scare me! :eek:

bennie

Esteemed Member

Sometimes the question asked, excludes the person from performing the task.

jtb

I agree with Bennie here, but I still say you have to learn sometime, somewhere, or you wouldn't be proficient at anything!

On that note, I will continue to learn and ask questions, tossing in the answers where I am proficient.

I learn something new everyday.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO

I agree with Bennie. "Sometimes".

I am sure that there is not one indivdual here that has performed expert consulting that has not run into something they have never seen before.

Admitting that you have to research something does not disqualify you. Hey your lawyer does it all the time.

Mike P.

Status
Not open for further replies.