Contactors Switching 1 leg of HID Lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccrtech

It was a real easy fix, since all of the conductors passed through the junction box and there was enough room for a extra contactor. I still wonder if the previous setup would have an effect on lamp and ballast life though.

sparky90

I do mostly lighting maintenance,and i have seen this set up before. Whether its in the code or not, both ungrounded legs should be broken going to the ballast for safety's sake. Sometimes we forget that "code" establish's bare minimums. Because the prior contractor didnt want to spend the money to double the poles needed for his contactor,they left a potential hazard for anyone following up.
On another note, I have found in several locations,480volt lighting system(single phase 480v) that the branch circuit are 3 pole breakers. And all 3 poles are being used. They are going into the next 3 pole breaker to complete the circuit. Old installations in a huge nationwide retailer.

iwire

Staff member
I do mostly lighting maintenance,and i have seen this set up before. Whether its in the code or not, both ungrounded legs should be broken going to the ballast for safety's sake. Sometimes we forget that "code" establish's bare minimums.

In my opinion the real safety issue is electricians not understanding the difference between a controller and a disconnecting means. Controllers should never be used to isolate a circuit for working on.

On another note, I have found in several locations,480volt lighting system(single phase 480v) that the branch circuit are 3 pole breakers. And all 3 poles are being used.

That is not a problem and quite common.

First third of the lights on A-B, second third of the lights on B-C, remaining third of the lights on A-C, but always staying on the same breaker.

They are going into the next 3 pole breaker to complete the circuit. Old installations in a huge nationwide retailer.

That would be a problem and I am willing to bet that the original design was not set up that way. Most likely someone made changes to the system

Status
Not open for further replies.