Continuos burn, break in time for dimmable flourescent lamps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ItsHot

I have yet to install some new layin, 2 lamp ,T-8 "dimmable" fixtures with a photo-cell on each fixture. I was told the lamps require a 100 hour continuos burn in time for proper operation. Anyone have any info to share on this? Thanks!!

flashlight

Occupation
Electrician, semi-retired
We did some of those a while ago. We just followed instructions, which were like you say, to run them 100 hrs. first w/o dimming them. Have no idea what would have happened if we cheated that a bit. Maybe some of the engineering types can weigh in.

ptrip

We did some of those a while ago. We just followed instructions, which were like you say, to run them 100 hrs. first w/o dimming them. Have no idea what would have happened if we cheated that a bit. Maybe some of the engineering types can weigh in.

Never heard of it ... but remember, life is black and white and on paper for us engineering folks! ;)

If it's a manufacturer installation instruction ... I'd imagine they suggest it for a reason. I just couldn't imagine why.

mivey

If you don't season the lamps, you can have flicker and instability because of impurities and uneven distribution of the mercury. NEMA recommends an over-night (12 hour) full burn.

mivey

NEMA recommends 12 Hours and is followed by lamp manufacturers like Sylvania & GE.

IESNA recommends 100 Hours for testing purposes only and may be where some of the ballast & dimmer manufacturers and others get the 100 hours.

ItsHot

trouble

trouble

Sounds like a lot of trouble to save a few watts! Your replacement lamps will have to be pre-burned for 100 hours on a work bench!! Why can't the chineese break 'em in for us?:mad:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Sounds like a lot of trouble to save a few watts!
Not to save watts, necessarily. It's my understanding that 'burning in' fluorescents makes them last longer, especially with short-term and intermittent use, and brighten faster in the case of CFL's.

I recommend at least 24 hours to all customers for all fluorescent types, just to get them hot and uniformly vaporize the mercury.

nakulak

I don't know what it does, but the manufacturers have had this in their instructions for a while. we let store lights burn for a few days str8 when we light em up.

wireddd

Dimmable lamps and ballast require a 100 hr burn in period. Otherwise you can sustain short lamp life and ballast failure. You need to check and see if these will work with a photocell in the circuit.

hunt4679

I think this is the problem with most walmarts. these stores are only 1 and 2 years old and have to be relamped all the ends on the lamps are black and half the lamps are out. I just wonder if this has something to do with it??

72gs455

worth the cost of maintenance to relamp

worth the cost of maintenance to relamp

In my enviroment (office lighting with daylighting and motion sensors). We try to do this for all new installations, in the past if we didnt it seemed there was flicker and poor llamp life and poor dimming quality. If we need to send some one to relamp a bunch of fixtures there would be lots of cost involved.
Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.