Continuous ground wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

d1reyad

I have a situation where I have a continuous ground wire from building steel so both Electro ground rod back to the panel now my cold water is about 50 feet away from the service can I just run a wire from my cold water to one of my ground rod to bond it or does it need to be one continuous wire all the way through

kwired

Electron manager
A little hard to understand what you wrote in OP, appears as though you have a continuous grounding electrode conductor from service to building steel. Presuming building steel is a qualifying electrode, that alone is all you need to run the GEC to. You can then run bonding jumpers to water pipe from building steel and/or to any ground rods. BTW if you have building steel and water pipe electrodes those must both be used, but there is no NEC requirement to add additional rods in that situation. If you had water pipe only - it must have a supplemental electrode - rods are typically chosen for this because they are simplest and least cost, not because they are absolutely required.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
It would help you to know the correct terms for the conductors - and us. Sounds like you are describing grounding electrode conductors and bonding jumpers. We kind of know what you are asking.
Mike Holt once said "what color is it and what does it do"?
Sometime look up the definition of ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.