Contractor Only (Renovation)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bikeindy

I price new construction the way I price renovations that way i make a lot more on the new construction.

I think the answer to your question is obvious. The new construction (residential) guys are looking for work and don't know they can actually make money as an EC. they are finding more ways to lose it.

bikeindy

electricalperson said:
so whats the best way to price a job like this? time and material or labor units?

If you want to make money on a renovation job don't try T&M they will drive you crazy over how long it took and why you charge what you do per hour. You need to find a flat rate that works for the device installs and wiring.

steelersman

celtic said:
Because they are clueless.

They think just because they got the job they will make money - and they will. However, this type of EC dines regularly on a variety of Ballpark, Sabrett, Hebrew National, Nathan's and Oscar Myers' finest products. This culinary choice is a financial decision vs. a taste preference...it is consumed out of necessity rather than desire.
Now don't get me wrong here....I enjoy a dirty water dog every now and again - I just prefer steak on a regular basis.
I haven't had a hot dog in quite awhile now....I also have no desire for one at this point in time either.
:grin:
I don't eat steak too often. First off I'm not that crazy about it. Second red meat isn't very healthy. Hot dogs aren't either, I'm just saying...

macmikeman

The Costco Polish dog is for me a culinary delight that I allow myself about twice a year. It contains roughly 8 grams of artery clogger per dog. When loaded up with mustard , ketchup and relish, this is as good as any meal found in the best downtown $145 a plate joints. But alas, something this good is not so good for your health.

steelersman

macmikeman said:
The Costco Polish dog is for me a culinary delight that I allow myself about twice a year. It contains roughly 8 grams of artery clogger per dog. When loaded up with mustard , ketchup and relish, this is as good as any meal found in the best downtown $145 a plate joints. But alas, something this good is not so good for your health.
macmikeman you sure are correct with that. I love those Polish dogs. Those things are slammin'. I don't care if they're not good for you or me. It's been awhile since I stopped by Costco and had one. I might have to go there tomorrow!

celtic

steelersman said:
I don't eat steak too often. First off I'm not that crazy about it. Second red meat isn't very healthy. Hot dogs aren't either, I'm just saying...

Who said the steak had to be beef?:confused:
A shark steak (Mako)or swordfish is a nice diversion from cow:smile:....and BTW, "tube steak" is still hot dog :D

celtic

quogueelectric said:
gfi recepticle new work 75 old work 150 its that simple. Time is time and money is money. I am not doing this for practice anymore.

I hear you...I charge $150 to just swap out GFCI devices.:cool:

celtic

electricalperson said:
so whats the best way to price a job like this? time and material or labor units?

Read electricguy's sig. line in post #11

T&M will keep you eating....but some prefer steak to hot dogs
Think about that for a moment....

If T&M keeps you in hot dogs, how can one achieve cloth napkin dining?

peter d

emahler said:
don't laugh - Costco Pizza for dinner on Saturday, hotdogs for dinner on Monday....wonder if they serve breakfast?:D

Yeah, and then you can even go inside and buy a month's worth of hot dogs for $7.99. :D

ivsenroute

Remodel work is nothing at all like new construction and often the walls are not stripped.

Crappy basements and crawlspaces.
Plaster and lath or rock lath.
Existing wiring in the way.
Years of remodeling layers.
Fishing wire to all devices.

Most people know that remodel work will cost them more.

Find out what your materials will cost.
Add your favorite percentage to that. (approx 20%)
Figure out how long the job will take in hours. Be conservative.
Add 15% more time to that.
Add up time and materials at the rate you want to get paid per hour.
Add another 20% onto the gross price.

Bid the job and hope you get it. Just don't work for free or drinking money

g@friendly

Glad to see that guys are selling job good and that they now there operational expense.

As far as lunch goes I am still using my 1980 price calculator for bidding new construction to bid all my remodel work. I am busy but I have no money; don't get it I work 1000 hr a week and forget the pizza at CostCo I am eating the samples.Bring on the grape juice and lobster dip. ;) Oh some time they have so chop meat dose that count as steak?

Status
Not open for further replies.