Contracts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joseph mulherin

Inactive, Email Never Verified
What kind and where can I get a work contract, when do I need to use a contract, to all business owners help me out thanks

Sent from my SM-G360P using Tapatalk

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Contracts are designed to put restraints on two people that don't trust each other. If you can't get a first name, a hand shake, buy a few thousand dollars worth of parts, install it and then drop by a couple weeks later to pick up a check then it's not worth doing. The only ones selling contracts are mangy lawyers and stock brokers. That and mobsters, I seen that too.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
Contracts are designed to put restraints on two people that don't trust each other. If you can't get a first name, a hand shake, buy a few thousand dollars worth of parts, install it and then drop by a couple weeks later to pick up a check then it's not worth doing. The only ones selling contracts are mangy lawyers and stock brokers. That and mobsters, I seen that too.

I absolutely agree and have noticed that a contract will not suddenly change a shady customer.

But it is good to have something in writing so as to partially limit problems caused by poor memory.

mgookin

Office supply stores used to sell generic proposals which, when accepted, become a contract.
And then there are online templates.
As others have said, you get what you pay for.

kwired

Electron manager
A contract is nothing more then an agreement between two parties. Verbal agreement is a contract but one that is put in print and signed by all parties involved is easier to look at and determine what was originally agreed upon. Still you can have one that is fairly simple with little details and end up in litigation when one party doesn't get what they thought they were supposed to get. Or you can have one with a lot of details that spells out not only what products or services will be included but when where and how they will be implemented, as well as one that clearly spells out how progress payments will work during the contract, how unforeseen situations are to be handled, deadlines for when certain aspects will be completed, what time a space is available, or even who cleans up any mess at the end of the day, the list of possibilities that may be covered is unlimited.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
A contract is nothing more then an agreement between two parties. Verbal agreement is a contract but one that is put in print and signed by all parties involved is easier to look at and determine what was originally agreed upon. Still you can have one that is fairly simple with little details and end up in litigation when one party doesn't get what they thought they were supposed to get. Or you can have one with a lot of details that spells out not only what products or services will be included but when where and how they will be implemented, as well as one that clearly spells out how progress payments will work during the contract, how unforeseen situations are to be handled, deadlines for when certain aspects will be completed, what time a space is available, or even who cleans up any mess at the end of the day, the list of possibilities that may be covered is unlimited.

Get an AIA contract. Google it all day long. An unmodified AIA contract is a fair document with standard, (unitelligible) legalize, that will usually align with what common sense and a hand shake do. In the commercial and government world, what you usually see is an AIA contract with specific exceptions. The will, for example adopt the AIA contract with a paragraph that states, clause such and such is void and replaced by theirs. Nowadays, when I review one of these, I don't even read the AIA part, I only read the exceptions.

Status
Not open for further replies.