Control panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

lilsparky

Hi everyone, it's been awhile since I last posted.

I'm working on a job where the metering components in different facilities are being upgraded. The electrical contractor installed a control panel that contains some computer equipment at one of the facilities. They fed the control panel from an existing 120v receptacle. They didn't install a plug, they hardwired it to the back of the recptacle. I believe this is a code violation and am trying to pin point which code it violates.

I believe the code doesnot allow a dedicated control panel (containing electronic stuff) to be connected to a convenience outlet via hard wire. I have looked at art. 409 Industrial Control panels and art. 210 branch circuits but don't seem to find what I believe is the smoking gun.

Can someone hellp?

Thanks!

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
I don't see any violation there...unless the panel load exceeded 50% of the branch circuit rating (assuming a 15A or 20A branch circuit) per 210.23(A)(2).

Ranger86

I think that it would be in the best interest of the building owner to have a dedicated circuit but I don't think that this is a violation. Is this electronic equipment related to any "Life Safety" equipment?

lilsparky

No, it's not tied to any "life safety" equipment. The control panel controls just the water, gas and Emon/Dmon Electric meter. Hmmm I guess I'm suprised. Well thanks for your help, I'll back down lol!!

Status
Not open for further replies.