Control Transformer for Corner grounded delta source

knorthouse

Occupation
Automation
We have a 3 phase corner grounded delta power source (230 Vac 3 PH 60Hz) that we'll be using to control a couple of 3 phase 230 Vac pumps. We're planning on installing a 230/115 vac single phase control transformer for control power. If we ground the secondary of the control transformer, would it be best to connect the primary to the 2 ungrounded phase conductors from the source? Would appreciate any comments on this.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Welcome to the forum.

It doesn't matter, but it would be a way to "monitor" the two ungrounded lines, especially with fuses.

Joethemechanic

Occupation
Electro-Mechanical Technician. Industrial machinery
Welcome to the forum.

It doesn't matter, but it would be a way to "monitor" the two ungrounded lines, especially with fuses.
I agree for a small control transformer it probably won't matter if it's a full delta

If it's an open delta I wouldn't connect across B and C

Last edited:

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The transformer only sees the line to line voltage connected to the transformer primary...is does not matter if one of the lines has zero volts to ground.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
I agree for a small control transformer it probably won't matter if it's a full delta

If it's an open delta I wouldn't connect across B and C
It would not matter. The OP said the system was corner grounded and the NEC requires the B phase to be the grounded conductor.

Joethemechanic

Occupation
Electro-Mechanical Technician. Industrial machinery
It would not matter. The OP said the system was corner grounded and the NEC requires the B phase to be the grounded conductor.
I'm just saying, if it's open delta, I wouldn't connect across the open legs. There is a little more voltage fluctuation there. If his transformer is just for a magnetic motor starter, it won't matter. If it's something electronic it could be sensitive to voltage or waveform

I questioned the trans connections because here on the east coast I've never seen a corner grounded 230 volt delta. Seen quite a few 480 corner grounds , but never 230-240

Last edited: