controller breaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
I have 480V, three phase, 100HP Fire pump fed from service rated fire pump controller. The fire pump controller internal breaker manufacturer says is sized at 250A. Is that not too small?

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
NEC does not care about the internal of a fire pump controller. NEC governs the wiring to and from the controller. When inspecting, the AHJ will look for the controller listing, and maybe a few more items if he/she is not familiar with the controller.
The one fire pump controller for a 100 HP pump (one is enough!) I installed had 2 250 amp breakers in series to meet short circuit requirements.
Fire pumps are a different beast, they are painted red, are a lot more expensive than a non fire pump controller, and the fire marshall is the one who really looks over the install...and tests everything

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
I am confused. The breaker in post #1 is inside UL218 listed suitable for use as service equipment fire pump controller model Firetrol FTA1000.

NEC 2014 section 695.4(b)(2)(a)(2) is about OCPD provided by assembly listed for fire pump service.

I must be missing something or reading above posts incorrectly. Is the breaker internal to listed service rated fire pump controller not govern by NEC 2014 section 695.4(b)(2)(a)(2)?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.