Cool troubleshoot find

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jpflex

Electrician big leagues
Occupation
Electrician commercial and residential
While troubleshooting a no start on a diesel generator for my company I found 2 volts from the main cable feed to starter from 12 volt battery source to ground.

I suspected a ground issue since battery was fully charged. Also nothing on generator worked and when I jumped both positive and ground jumper cable direct to starter it still spun slow.

Sure enough I found a bad negative connection clear the hell down almost to negative post so you got 12 volts showing almost at negative terminal. Something you don’t see often but text books always mention

Cut off bad, worn out carbon tracked corroded end and cleaned up all grounds and problem solved.

Another project I had similar to this was a tractor drill that had its ground completely disconnected and voltage Positive 12v showing on chassis relative to battery negative

Attachments

• 40AD9657-780C-4124-8BA5-764698034E86.jpeg
    40AD9657-780C-4124-8BA5-764698034E86.jpeg
    33.5 KB · Views: 49

Jpflex

Electrician big leagues
Occupation
I
Voltage chassis to negative post is one of the first things to check on a dead vehicle. Right after battery voltage.

I say this I less common because factory cables do not typically encounter this problem as they are one solid unit conductor.

The one shown is a separate cable with The ring terminal that is held together by pressure

retirede

I

I say this I less common because factory cables do not typically encounter this problem as they are one solid unit conductor.

The one shown is a separate cable with The ring terminal that is held together by pressure

That’s true. I have enough older machinery and cars that I have more made-up battery cables than those with the integrated ends.

retirede

Old tractors had a positive grounded system. :)

Mine aren’t. Oldest machine I have now is an IH856 which is about a 1970 model.

I had a couple 6V, positive ground that I converted to 12V. Converted to negative ground at the same time so I could use a car alternator. The nice thing about a series-wound starter motor is that it runs the right direction regardless of polarity!

Jpflex

Electrician big leagues
Occupation

I had a couple 6V, positive ground that I converted to 12V. Converted to negative ground at the same time so I could use a car alternator. The nice thing about a series-wound starter motor is that it runs the right direction regardless of polarity!
Interesting

Jpflex

Electrician big leagues
Occupation
Always amazes me how smart people are in this trade.

Not the same as being well paid. The two are not always synonymous. Companies get the most advantage out of skilled and learned professionals these days while jobs pay less and less until one day a full day of work will cover one meal

blueheels2

Occupation
Electrical contractor
No argument from me. Everyone in the trades is underpaid. That’s why I started my own company, not that I’m killing it. But I’m the past 6 months I’ve made more than I ever have.

OldBroadcastTech

Occupation
Retired Broadcast Technician
Oliver tractors had positive ground up thru the 'triple-digit' ( 770, 880, etc) series

Starting with the 4-digit series.....1600, etc< they went to negative ground.

I once watched a supposed 'Oliver Expert' burn up 4 alternators within 2 hours because he 'knew' that the 880 he was working on ( my Dad's !) had a negative-ground system. Suggestion that he open the battery compartment lid and see for himself went unheeded, in fact he got downright HOSTILE.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor

Just read yours, you beat me to it. I have a 601 Ford selectospeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.