Copper Compact Conductors

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Does anyone make compact conductors in copper? I am trying to squeeze a 400A 3 phase feeder into 3" PVC conduit. 500's don't fit with the ground conductor.

Steve

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Re: Copper Compact Conductors

Steve, if you use type XHHW it will work.

.6984 + .6984 + .6984 + .6984 + .0962 (#3 EGC) = 2.8898

40% fill of 3? RNC = 2.907

davedottcom

If you're using LB's or LL's or LR's it might not.
Anyone know what the maximum allowable fill is for a 3" PVC LB? I'm almost positive it has a lower fill amount than pipe does.

Dave

davedottcom

Strange...I happened to pick up my "Electrical Contractor" Magazine I just got in the mail today and on p.88 there is an article discussing how conduit bodies don't always allow the same number of conductors that the connecting pipes do.
It shows a 3 1/2" Rigid LB that is only listed for
3 500 MCMs.
See: 2005 314.28(A)(1,2&3) if you're even using any conduit bodies!?!?!

;)
Dave

steve066

I don't think there are any fittings. The conduit comes out the bottom of the meter, 90's horizontal toward a panel, and then 90's up into the bottom of the panel.

I'm assuming it is either Schedule 40 or 80 PVC as opposed to RNC. I was thinking of a 1/0 Ground, but you're right: I can use a #3 if the bonding is in the meter (as it should be). I'll have to redue the calc. when I get back to work on Monday (usually do these on a excel spreadsheet).

Steve

mc5w

You still need a 1/0 equipment ground because that is the grounding electrode conductor size for 500 KCM copper.

Pirelli makes 500 KCM compact stranded copper building wire and high voltage cables. However, you will need a heavy duty wire pulling winch OR a forklift truck plus heavy duty sheaves ( pulleys ) to redirect the rope to the forklift truck.

However, 500 KCM in 3" conduit will have a tendency to jam in bends. See chapter 9, Fine Print #2.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer

Thanks for the info MCW5, but I only need a #3 or larger. Since the bonding is in the meter, and there is fuse protection at the disconnect, this is an Equipment grounding conductor. So it is sized per table 250.122.

I didn't see compact standed copper on Pirelli's website.

I did think about the jambing issue, and with XHHW, I'm at the very bottom of the range. With the very short pull, hopefully, it won't be a problem.

Steve

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Hello Steve, we make pulls like this on a regular basis. If the EC is experienced in pulling large conductors, they will know not to let the conductors twist on the feed end, this will elliminate most chances of jambing in a shorter run.

Roger

thinfool

One contractor I know routinely uses parallel 4/0 thhn in a 3" conduit for 400 amps. This allows for derating. I think he downsizes the neutral and pulls a #2 equipment ground.

7-4/0 thhn
1-#2 thhn

steve66

Occupation
Engineer

Thinfool:

That is interesting. Since I mostly have electric heat, I don't have to count the neutral in derating. That gives me an 80% derating for 6 conductors. If I could derate the 90 deg. column, that gives 416 amps of capacity. (And 2 4/0 have less circular mills than 1 set of 500's, so its probably cheaper).

But this would be in a wet location, so I think I would have to use a wire with a "-2" in it to use the 90 deg column. For example, I could use XHHW-2 or THWN-2. But I'm not sure if those wires are slightly larger than THWN or XHHW? That could affect the fill.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.