copper or aluminum

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmsce

Cost of 100 ft. of 4#500kcmil-4"c versus 170 ft. of parallel 4#250kcmil-3"c with two spare 3"c. All conduit is sch. 40 pvc.
Would cost of copper versus aluminum be roughly equal?

kwired

Electron manager
Are you sure you asked the right question? 4 - 500's will cost more than 4 - 250's even if they are both copper.

I assume you want the aluminum alternative to have same ampacity as copper alternative.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
Are you sure you asked the right question? 4 - 500's will cost more than 4 - 250's even if they are both copper.

I assume you want the aluminum alternative to have same ampacity as copper alternative.
Which is generally accepted to be parrallel 250's parrallel 4/0 AL is 340 amps, 500 copper is 385 amps and parrallel 250's is 410 amps. As to the OP. Assuming that the spare conduits are required for both copper and aluminum, the 250 aluminum would be significantly cheaper (about 40%) and the cost flucuation history is much more stable.

kwired

Electron manager
Which is generally accepted to be parrallel 250's parrallel 4/0 AL is 340 amps, 500 copper is 385 amps and parrallel 250's is 410 amps. As to the OP. Assuming that the spare conduits are required for both copper and aluminum, the 250 aluminum would be significantly cheaper (about 40%) and the cost flucuation history is much more stable.

Read the OP again, he says " 4#500kcmil-4"c versus 170 ft. of parallel 4#250kcmil-3"c"

Yet he says only 100 feet of 500's and 170 feet of the 250's:?

I would guess he wants to compare single run of 500 copper vs parallel run of 250 aluminum.

I think price of copper alone will be much higher than the aluminum alone. Copper is harder and heavier to handle, aluminum will be two pulls but is easier to handle.

Status
Not open for further replies.