Copper wire damaged by chlorine

Status
Not open for further replies.

patron

My customer has been storing chlorine in front of his indoor loadcenter. I plan to replace the loadcenter and breakers, however the bare copper grounding conductors are badly oxidized. The wire is OK where it is covered by insulation or sheathing. Is it possible to clean the green oxidization from these conductors and re use them or should they be replaced.

GUNNING

FIRE FIRE!

FIRE FIRE!

If the overall diameter is reduced by the oxidation then you will have to replace the bond wire. The good news is that bonding rules have changed and its an opportunity to safe guard the EGC installation from further damage.
Oxidation is a fancy way of saying burning. If a wire insulation was bubbly from overheating you would know that the insulation had failed. If the EGC has oxide from chemical damage it means the overall diameter has decreased and hence not a true#4, #6 or #8. If its slight discoloration its a judgment call. Ask youself is this a neat and good workmanship like manner installation? Did I say new materials? Is this repairable?
If its fuzzy, replace it.:thumbsup:

patron

What about the NM-B bare ground wires?

What about the NM-B bare ground wires?

I agree with replacing the EGC and the SE stranded SE conductors as well, however the insulation and sheathing on the NM-B cables appear to be in good shape, but the bare conductor in each NM-B cable is heavily oxidized. If I clean them up and the customer no longer stores chlorine in this garage, would they be OK? Would the oxidization re occur?

cadpoint

Copper has one electron to give on the valance shell and chlorine can recieve (or has a spot for one electron.

Burning no - it's a transtion from at the electron level the copper is going from a positive to negative ion.(if I'm stating that correctly)

Here's one example of chlorine here

Here's an example of oxygen here but it has more valance shells.

Once a chemical transitations has happened it can't be reversed. (as I recall)

Last edited:

renosteinke

I would not worry about a simple surface discoloration. Unlike aluminum, copper "rust" is still a pretty good conductor- and the actual connection points were likely protected by the connections themselves.

Other components are another story. The breakers, for instance. They contain materials (like steel springs) that don't bear corrosion well at all.

If it makes you feel better, take the wires loose and clan them with Scotch-brite and Noalox.

Status
Not open for further replies.