Cord Cap on hospital bed

wmeek

Occupation
Electrician
Is there any conflicts of reworking a hospital Bed cord. I would like to replace the male end and install new 15A male cord cap by using Leviton 8215-CAT. Original cord plug has become frayed from cord cap.

david

Is there any conflicts of reworking a hospital Bed cord. I would like to replace the male end and install new 15A male cord cap by using Leviton 8215-CAT. Original cord plug has become frayed from cord cap.
In my experience those cords have a factory male end. i think i would replace the cord with the same type. i would use the same type of connections as original. and i would do a continuity check on the cord. and document my findings. I do not have NFPA 99 in front of me. But i would follow the guidelines in NFPA 99

jap

Occupation
Electrician

I think I'd leave it alone and let the hospital contact their source for the hospital bed.

JAP>

paullmullen

Occupation
Electrical Engineer & Master Electrician
OK, I have worked as a medical device designer and business leader (GE Healthcare) for nearly 40 years, so I can provide some insight:

1) If under warranty or a service contract, the service provider should cover this.

2) If under hourly billed service (time and material service) with the manufacturer, check for two things:
a) What will they charge to fix it? [Likely to be a lot]
b) What will they sell the part for? [Also likely to be a lot]

3) Now check with 3rd party parts providers. There are many. They are likely to have new or refurbished parts that are guaranteed to work as new.

4) Finally, if you strike out on 1, 2, and 3, replace the whole cord. Here are some things to think about:

a) Is the replacement part listed for the purpose?

b) How is the strain relief protection for the cord? Always assume that someone will yank plug out by the cord, or that they will move the bed without unplugging. Replacing only the plug is not likely going to meet the strain relief requirements.

c) Review your proposed change with at least one other colleague to assess the risks presented and document your decision.

wmeek

Occupation
Electrician
Thanks everyone for your input . I really appreciate it. I actually did call and tell them to just get new cords.