Cordless drill recommendation

Hi everyone, I usually was reading some threads but a couple of days ago had to hang a lighting fixture and realized I have no drill. So if you guys have something decent in your toolset could you advise me, please. Thought about de volt V20 MAX after reading some reviews, but decided to ask a real opinion first.

electrofelon

All the major brands are great, I don think color matters much. What I would think about is size/platform. The Milwaukee M12 system is real nice, powerful and light. I have the M18 which is also nice but kinda Overkill 99% of the time.

Knuckle Dragger

Master Electrician Electrical Contractor 01752
Rigid has decent stuff , I believe 3 year warranty with lifetime service agreement.
I have Milwaukee hole hog and sawsalls.
I still own Ryobi pistol drill and impact from 8 years ago.

infinity

Staff member
At work we're all in on the Milwaukee platform. We use the Milwaukee M18 hammer drills, impact guns, sawzall's, band saws, KO sets, you name it. The entire platform uses the same battery which is great because if you have a few tools with you can always swap a good battery for a dead one. At home I have older DeWalt cordless tools but given a choice I would choose the Milwaukee system.

junkhound

Have 10 or so battery drills, everything from 7.2 V Makita to 18V Makita, Ryobi, DeWalt, and Bosch.

Main problem (other than battery life) with any of them is eventual corrosion of the battery to drill tabs. The DeWalt 18 V (either NiMh or Li-ion) I have has given the fewest problems there. e.g fewest times needing to clean terminals.
I'd guess the DeWalt have a bit heavier or better material plating on the terminals.

I do not hae any Milwaukee cordless drills, but all the corded Milwaukee tools I have are good (except the router, which broke the chuck shaft)

retirede

I have owned/used Milwaukee, Ridgid, and Bosch. All have been fine.
I have a friend who is a bricklayer and he always uses Ryobi. He beat the crap out of them screwing brick ties to walls, often dropping them off of high scaffolding. They held up well and he always said they were so cheap he didn’t care if he destroyed one.

Have 10 or so battery drills, everything from 7.2 V Makita to 18V Makita, Ryobi, DeWalt, and Bosch.

Main problem (other than battery life) with any of them is eventual corrosion of the battery to drill tabs. The DeWalt 18 V (either NiMh or Li-ion) I have has given the fewest problems there. e.g fewest times needing to clean terminals.
I'd guess the DeWalt have a bit heavier or better material plating on the terminals.

I do not hae any Milwaukee cordless drills, but all the corded Milwaukee tools I have are good (except the router, which broke the chuck shaft)
Yeah, a staff member at Lowes advised me De Walt, too.

synchro

I have been happy with a Milwaukee drill along with a couple of M18 batteries. I agree with electrofelon that they're overkill for small stuff.
One thing to look out for is the quality of the chuck because some of the cheap ones out there are junk.