Cordless right angle stud drill

Status
Not open for further replies.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
Anybody use a cordless right angle stud drill?

I have a buddy who has the Milwaukee version, and if I remember correctly, it drills slow.

What about using one with large hole saws?

I use Makita, thinking about this 36v....

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician

I have a buddy who has the Milwaukee version, and if I remember correctly, it drills slow.

The newer Gen II Milwaukee Hole Hawg M18 works nice it is 2 speed and makes short work of boring holes even in large beams. Mostly if you already have a tool on a specific battery platform some consideration would be given to that vs a whole new platform.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
The newer Gen II Milwaukee Hole Hawg M18 works nice it is 2 speed and makes short work of boring holes even in large beams. Mostly if you already have a tool on a specific battery platform some consideration would be given to that vs a whole new platform.
I have almost all 18v Makita.
The 36v uses two 18v batteries.
That's why I looked there first.

Right now I use their top-of-the-line brushless hammer drill. But looking into a right angle drill for whenever I wire a new home or if I have to use a large hole saw

I also have 18v Dewalt framing nailer and stapler, and an impact driver. Seems like I have some other tool from DeWalt, but I can't think of it right now. That stuff just stays in my garage, but if they made the best right angle drill I would consider buying one.

My preference would be Makita, however, because I have about 10 batteries 5 ah

ceb58

I love my Milwaukee cordless hole hog. Can drill out 2300 - 2500 sq ft house one one good battery.

I also have the Milwaukee one - the one that is just one speed. I believe they now have a fancier one that is two speeds, as someone mentioned. But it is not slow. It actually spins faster than a corded hole hawg. Work great. Get the version with the quick lock chuck, cannot emphasize this enough. Take the plunge you will not regret.

SSDriver

Occupation
Electrician
I have to say my Milwaukee hole hawg (gen II) is amazing. I would assume its smaller due to only using one battery but I have not seen the Makita 36v. I can say that the Milwaukee hole hawg is much smaller than the Milwaukee Super hole hawg, the regular hole hawg is more than powerful for 99% of the stuff needed on regular construction. The one you posted weighs 14 lbs with batteries and the standard Hole hawg would be about 10 lbs with one 6.0 battery. I think the one you posted would be more inline with the milwaukee super hole hawg which in my opinion would be more of a hassle on normal jobs/use due to size than its worth, unless your constantly drilling 6" plus holes in wood.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
I have to say my Milwaukee hole hawg (gen II) is amazing. I would assume its smaller due to only using one battery but I have not seen the Makita 36v. I can say that the Milwaukee hole hawg is much smaller than the Milwaukee Super hole hawg, the regular hole hawg is more than powerful for 99% of the stuff needed on regular construction. The one you posted weighs 14 lbs with batteries and the standard Hole hawg would be about 10 lbs with one 6.0 battery. I think the one you posted would be more inline with the milwaukee super hole hawg which in my opinion would be more of a hassle on normal jobs/use due to size than its worth, unless your constantly drilling 6" plus holes in wood.
That's good stuff. Right now I use a brushless hammer drill. Actually, I have 2 drills so that short bit and long bit without having to change them out.

I like how lightweight they are. If I buy a stud drill, weight will be a factor

James L

Occupation
Electrician
I also have the Milwaukee one - the one that is just one speed. I believe they now have a fancier one that is two speeds, as someone mentioned. But it is not slow. It actually spins faster than a corded hole hawg. Work great. Get the version with the quick lock chuck, cannot emphasize this enough. Take the plunge you will not regret.
I don't mind spending the money on a good tool. And I'm not stuck on one brand. My Makita stuff is awesome, and my hammer drills do everything I ask - even large hole saws.

But if Milwaukee makes more sense for a stud drill I'll do it. Not like I'd need it every day. I could carry it as needed when roughing in

👍👍

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Used my hole hawg with a 3" Milwaukee Switch Blade to bore a hole in an 18" beam. Didn't bind up or slowed down, under 15 minutes and through, just backed out a few times to clear the cuttings on the horizontal hole.
I also like it when drilling overhead from a ladder, it seems to be better balanced and less torquing that trys to knock you off the ladder compared to my standard hammer drill.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
Used my hole hawg with a 3" Milwaukee Switch Blade to bore a hole in an 18" beam. Didn't bind up or slowed down, under 15 minutes and through, just backed out a few times to clear the cuttings on the horizontal hole.
I also like it when drilling overhead from a ladder, it seems to be better balanced and less torquing that trys to knock you off the ladder compared to my standard hammer drill.
You drilled a 3" hole through 18" thick wood?

I tried drilling a 3/4" hole 6 feet through the heart of a cedar beam and burned up a battery. Hammer drill was fine. That was lots if strain

kwired

Electron manager

Don't know which style you are referring to, but I see they have one that appears to have the same style right angle adapter on it as they have had on their corded right angle drills for years. You get slow speed but high torque if you install that right angle adapter one way, turn it around and you get high speed but will have lower output torque. High speed is fine for up to maybe about an inch auger type bit in general construction lumber types. Low speed is what you want if drilling large holes, but make sure you get a good grip on it it will kick back hard if bit is jammed.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
right angle adapter ..... You get slow speed but high torque if you install that right angle adapter one way, turn it around and you get high speed but will have lower output torque...
I did not see that. I've never used a Makita right angle drill.

Many moons ago I used a Black & Decker Timberwolf, which was long and awkward. Impossible to use one-handed.

The corded Hole Hawg, much more compact and easy for me to one-hand on a ladder with a 7/8" auger bit.

Looking to get closer to the compact varieties with good torque and battery life

kwired

Electron manager
I did not see that. I've never used a Makita right angle drill.

Many moons ago I used a Black & Decker Timberwolf, which was long and awkward. Impossible to use one-handed.

The corded Hole Hawg, much more compact and easy for me to one-hand on a ladder with a 7/8" auger bit.

Looking to get closer to the compact varieties with good torque and battery life
Ends of the right angle adapter are the same thing, all you do is install it the other way and you invert the gear ratio of the adapter. Usually is stamped high and low on appropriate end.

Add: you can also take the right angle adapter off and mount the chuck directly to the drill output shaft which is a speed somewhere between the other two speeds but you now have a straight drill instead of an angle drill.

ceb58

mine is the quick chuck. 24 or 18 in extension with quick chuck and 18in auger bit never touch a ladder drilling out over head on 9 or 10 ft walls

JoeNorm

I have the Milwaukie single battery and the Makita 36v double. Both right angle.

The Milwaukie is nice because it is smaller and lighter. I would reach for it first for holes up to 1 inch in diameter.

The Makita has WAY more power, as should be expected. I think its designed more for plumbers who have much bigger diameter holes to drill. The build quality is very high. It has a "regular" chuck whereas my Milwaukie has a quick lock type for faster bit changing.

The major downside is it's pretty heavy, but if you can handle the weight, it's a much better tool than the Milwaukie.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
I have the Milwaukie single battery and the Makita 36v double. Both right angle.

The Milwaukie is nice because it is smaller and lighter. I would reach for it first for holes up to 1 inch in diameter.

The Makita has WAY more power, as should be expected. I think its designed more for plumbers who have much bigger diameter holes to drill. The build quality is very high. It has a "regular" chuck whereas my Milwaukie has a quick lock type for faster bit changing.

The major downside is it's pretty heavy, but if you can handle the weight, it's a much better tool than the Milwaukie.
That's what I was hoping to see, an opinion from someone who has both. I have a good mix of use. Lots of 3/4" holes drilling out basements, and now some new homes coming in.

But I also dril quite a few larger holes for can lights, bath fan vents, etc

Maybe I'll end up with both, too.
👍👍👍👍

kwired

Electron manager
That's what I was hoping to see, an opinion from someone who has both. I have a good mix of use. Lots of 3/4" holes drilling out basements, and now some new homes coming in.

But I also dril quite a few larger holes for can lights, bath fan vents, etc

Maybe I'll end up with both, too.
👍👍👍👍

But a ~6 inch hole saw that is just cutting through drywall for a can light doesn't normally need as much torque to drive it as you need for boring a 2 to 3 inch hole with a typical self feed type wood boring bit.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
But a ~6 inch hole saw that is just cutting through drywall for a can light doesn't normally need as much torque to drive it as you need for boring a 2 to 3 inch hole with a typical self feed type wood boring bit.
Yeah. Usually drywall. But also OSB soffit material.

I also install range hoods and bath exhaust fans using 6-inch vent pipe. 6-3/8 hole for that, too

Status
Not open for further replies.