Cords above suspended ceiling

tomito

Hello everybody, I have been reading some threads about outlets above a suspended ceiling like this one:
What I have understood is that the cord is what is not permitted by 400.8 (2), isn't the same problem with spots like this?:
What about that cord?

Tom

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
The LED driver is part of a listed assembly and probably has an output voltage of 12 - 24v.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Hello everybody, I have been reading some threads about outlets above a suspended ceiling like this one:
What I have understood is that the cord is what is not permitted by 400.8 (2), isn't the same problem with spots like this?:
What about that cord?

Tom

My guess is that the cord is plenum rated so there isn't an issue.

A receptacle is allowed above a ceiling but, in general, that is used for service people not for a permanent cord installation

The innovative slim design allows for easy, remodel or new construction installation from below the ceiling and areas with shallow plenums.

tomito

My guess is that the cord is plenum rated so there isn't an issue.

A receptacle is allowed above a ceiling but, in general, that is used for service people not for a permanent cord installation
Maybe, but a plenum is a space designed to handle air from the AAC, what if somebody install it in a suspended ceiling not designed for air handling?