Corn Cob LEDS

Status
Not open for further replies.

McConnell

New User
Occupation
Electrical
I have a parking lot with 12 ea. 277 volt Lights. Retrofit with Corn Cob LEDs 5k and now once a month at least 1 burns out. Voltage is about 288. It's in the range of 10% plus or minus. Should I change the taps on the transformer? That's the only thing I can think of.

kwired

Electron manager
I have a parking lot with 12 ea. 277 volt Lights. Retrofit with Corn Cob LEDs 5k and now once a month at least 1 burns out. Voltage is about 288. It's in the range of 10% plus or minus. Should I change the taps on the transformer? That's the only thing I can think of.
If talking about changing taps I presuming these are replacement lamps that still utilize the ballast. Your ballast taps are likely 120, 208, 240, 277, in some cases 480. The 277 volt tap is still the closest to applied voltage.

Something to consider and not sure how LED replacement would respond, but in metal halide systems there is a capacitor that is in series with the lamp don't know what failed capacitor will do and might depend on how it fails as well. Also pulse start metal halide has high pulse starting device that I could see giving problems with a LED. I haven't used any of those replacement LED's yet, but think I would seriously consider ballast bypass types if I were to install any.

kwired

Electron manager
and another possible issue is having a replacement lamp that is or is not designed to be used in your application. things like open or enclosed lamp, lamp orientation and such can effect how heat is dissipated from said replacement lamp and depending on what the replacement was designed for may impact how long it will last

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
I saw a lot of failures with LED (company) corn cob lamps. Heat is always an issue and also the quality of the driver.
A replacement luminaire would come with a warranty...

drcampbell

Occupation
Registered Professional Engineer
... in metal halide systems there is a capacitor that is in series with the lamp don't know what failed capacitor will do and might depend on how it fails ...
I don't think I've ever seen an AC capacitor fail any other way but open.
(which may or may not be the actual capacitor's failure mode; they usually have an internal fuse)

Does "5k" refer to the manufacturer's lamp-life estimate?
12 lamps x 400 hours/month = 4800 total hours of on-time per month. One failure per month might be entirely normal & expected.

kwired

Electron manager
I don't think I've ever seen an AC capacitor fail any other way but open.
(which may or may not be the actual capacitor's failure mode; they usually have an internal fuse)

Does "5k" refer to the manufacturer's lamp-life estimate?
12 lamps x 400 hours/month = 4800 total hours of on-time per month. One failure per month might be entirely normal & expected.
I find motor capacitors that have bulging case quite often. I don't think the "fuse" is an overcurrent device as much as it is a mechanical fuse that pulls apart when the terminal end of the case pushes out from pressure building up inside. Would guess majority of those that fail in this manner probably was due to short circuit, though the external result is open circuit because the fuse opened.

Status
Not open for further replies.