corrosion in a j box

Status
Not open for further replies.

king dave

Occupation
electrician
I just swapped out an outlet that the wires were corroded but there was no reason that I could see that would explain the corrosion on the wires.
Does anybody know reasons other than moisture that can cause corrosion?

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I just swapped out an outlet that the wires were corroded but there was no reason that I could see that would explain the corrosion on the wires.
Where was the outlet? In a house? If so what year?
outside??
a little more information would be great.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
Of the various experiences with this, only once was it caused by dog's habit of peeing on wall in living room

Residential service work is more enjoyable some days than others

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Of the various experiences with this, only once was it caused by dog's habit of peeing on wall in living room

Residential service work is more enjoyable some days than others
😲
Im still amazed what some people tolerate...

Buck Parrish

If the wires ever got really hot. Some times they will appear corrosive.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
My memory was of cats. Nothing like congealed cat urine on the devices to make you rethink your choice of profession.
I once had a troubleshoot for a short on a circuit. This was in an older house that had originally been wired with a mix of rigid black conduit and BX cable. I used a high-wattage bulb in series with the breaker to keep the circuit on, and ended up separating wires leaving a ceiling box in the basement to narrow it down.

The problem was an added receptacle in a Wiremold box behind the front door that was completely cat-urine soaked and had visible orange arcing inside the receptacle itself. New box, receptacle, and plate took care of the problem. I don't know what long-term solution the owner used to keep it from happening again.

king dave

Occupation
electrician
I work in the summer in a camp that has a abt 35 trailers and come across several outlets a year with corroded wire. The wire is usually fabric clad in plastic boxes with green and/or white corrosion (these trailers are unheated during the winter)
Somebody told me that improper torqueing can cause corrosion???

Status
Not open for further replies.