Corrosion protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

mon6am

DO you have to use any type of corrosion protection on AL conductors when connecting to breaker inside a multi family dwelling basement?

[ December 15, 2004, 10:36 PM: Message edited by: mon6am ]

peter d

Re: Corrosion protection

Well, not necesarily. It depends on what the wire manufacturer recommends.

But if in doubt, a little bit of anti oxidant isn't going to do any harm. :)

mon6am

The lugs on the breaker are rated for AL and CU so where in the code book dose it say I should use any type of corrosion protection.

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by mon6am:
DO you have to use any type of corrosion protection on AL conductors when connecting to breaker inside a multi family dwelling basement?
Originally posted by mon6am:
The lugs on the breaker are rated for AL and CU so where in the code book dose it say I should use any type of corrosion protection.
The code does not directly require the use of oxidation inhibitors. The only place the code even references oxidation inhibitors is here.

2002 NEC
110.14 Electrical Connections.
Because of different characteristics of dissimilar metals, devices such as pressure terminal or pressure splicing connectors and soldering lugs shall be identified for the material of the conductor and shall be properly installed and used. Conductors of dissimilar metals shall not be intermixed in a terminal or splicing connector where physical contact occurs between dissimilar conductors (such as copper and aluminum, copper and copper-clad aluminum, or aluminum and copper-clad aluminum), unless the device is identified for the purpose and conditions of use. Materials such as solder, fluxes, inhibitors, and compounds, where employed, shall be suitable for the use and shall be of a type that will not adversely affect the conductors, installation, or equipment.
Now this does not mean you are never required to use the oxidation inhibitors. The code still requires you to follow the labeling that comes with your equipment.

2002 NEC
110.3 Examination, Identification, Installation, and Use of Equipment.

(B) Installation and Use. Listed or labeled equipment shall be installed and used in accordance with any instructions included in the listing or labeling.
It comes down to reading the label on the equipment, I can remember some GE disconnects switches that require oxidation inhibitors applied when AL is used on the terminations.

Look at the label on the disconnect, panel etc for the requirements.

When in doubt I use it as Peter and Highvoltage have suggested. :)

stud696981

I realize that aluminum wire is used a lot due to cost savings. My philosophy is that if your going to use something cheaper, at least install it properly so it last. I have went on a number of service calls over the years where aluminum wire was the issue. The two main causes were corrosion because no anti oxidant compound was used and loose connections. A tube or bottle of compound is cheap and goes a long ways. Too bad it's not specifically required, if so the inspectors would be failing a lot of service change overs an other installs.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

I sometimes wonder if antioxidant compund ought to be required on all connections of larger wire (like above 2/0) regardless of whether it is Al or not.

Could well reduce the potential for hot spots at connections.

Status
Not open for further replies.