Cost of Thermographic (Infrared) Imaging

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikecj

Everyone,

Can anyone provide me a WAG for thermographic imaging of an electrical panel? I just need a basic number (mobilization + hourly rate)

Thanks,

MikeCJ

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
It will depend on
the experience of the thermographer (how he/she takes image and how to translate the image),
what you need scanned,
the type of report you need,

the type of camera is being used.

It is not as simple as an IR camera and two hands.

Are you trying to give a price to a customer?

twm22

Hello all - Is there documented evidence of thermographic imaging effectiveness? I'm not so much interested in theoretical success (I've seen the hot spot images that can be seen). I'm more interested in anyone having examples of real success stories, such as, "My company does continual imaging on its 100 panels and we find at least one hot spot requiring urgent repair every month", or something to that effect. The reason I ask is that I'm seeing clients implement thermographic inspection programs without evidence of its effectiveness. On another thread, a member and I discussed how many thermographic imaging engagements aren't even addressing what's behind bolted covers and may therefore be ineffective.

Also, I posted on this thread because if there is a rule of thumb as to the cost (e.g. $xxxx per 20 panels), I'd be interested to hear it

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
It is like anything else. You charge enough to cover your actual costs for the service and some profit.

I am skeptical regarding the utility of typical thermal scans as they are often done on weekends when load is relatively low so probably are not especially meaningful.

I would not be real offended if someone were to thermally scan the electrical systems during peak usage periods with the covers on looking for warm spots that might show a problem that would bear further looking into.

I also think if you are going to go to the cost of removing covers to do scanning that it would make sense to install IR viewing windows so future scans don't require removing the covers or the insane cost of using the level of PPE needed when the covers are off.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I do IR scans of EVERY substation on our system during peak winter at nights, and peak summer in the afternoons.
I have found several items that could have been extremely costly had it not been discovered through IR analysis.
Bushings with leaking bottom seals in XFs, bam you old bad connections, etc.
even loose bolts.

I have IR some panels and found bad stabs on the panels, loose connections, etc. but as noted earlier, if it’s done on the weekends or when loads are down or non existent, your basically wasting your time.
Camera alone was $23,000

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Not something I’ve had done often, but here are two recent examples;

Job A: Thermal scan of a single 225A lighting panel. 2/hrs travel, 1/hr on-site, typed report with images - $600.

Job B: Thermal scan of an 800A integrated MDP with 3x 225A panels, approx 2/hrs on-site, report delivered directly to customer -$2000. Contract specified I had to hire an engineering firm out of California to fly to Georgia. It was a new build, they wanted scans of the gear before turning the job over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.