countertop spacing@48" 210.52 C 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

97catintenn

Where is it in the codebook that receptacles can be spaced 48"s apart along a countertop?

I see a picture in the handbook and it shows 48" spacing, but

210.52(C)1 states:

(1) Wall Countertop Spaces. A receptacle outlet shall be
installed at each wall countertop space that is 300 mm
(12 in.) or wider. Receptacle outlets shall be installed so
that no point along the wall line is more than 600 mm
(24 in.) measured horizontally from a receptacle outlet in
that space.

It's also listed in the FAQ as being 48"s. And this was a test question, that I put 24"s on. Maybe I missed it.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
If "no point is greater than 2 ft, you can place the receptacles 48" apart.
As you move from recept #1, once you get 24 1/2" from it (recept #1) you are with 24" of receptacle #2,

97catintenn

If "no point is greater than 2 ft, you can place the receptacles 48" apart.
As you move from recept #1, once you get 24 1/2" from it (recept #1) you are with 24" of receptacle #2,

Thanks for clearing it up. It's like have a two foot corded appliance and being able to plug it in anywhere on the countertop without an extension cord. Got it :thumbsup:

The code does specify that counter tops 12" or larger need to have a receptacle.

In practice I would suggest installing recepts as small as 6". Think about your coffee maker, most are less than 12"...same with 2 slice toasters.

97catintenn

I think I've been studying too much and worrying about my test way too much. Simple rules in the nec that are in black and white aren't making sense :dunce:

But they are now! Thanks guys :thumbsup:

resistance

I think I've been studying too much and worrying about my test way too much. Simple rules in the nec that are in black and white aren't making sense :dunce:

Ask as many questions as possible. If you don’t know it, ask!! Forget what others think—regardless how stupid the question may seem!!! Side note to electricians working within their license. There are some questions we shouldn't be asking—just being honest!!! Personally, I’ve forgotten a lot—because times are slow, and I’m not doing what I was doing 9 years ago. Example: Roping over two new houses per week. (Where applicable) But, I have no excuse to be asking if I should cut the neutral conductor first or the hot conductor when doing an overhead service change. @ 97, Keep the questions coming!! You have the best on this site!!!

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor

It is a common error. Remember it says no point on the wall shall be more than 24" from a receptacle.It does not say 24" between receptacles.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
It's always a bit humorous to find a an installation where the homeowner is DIY to "save money" and they install receptacles "to Code"..... every 24" on CT and every 6' on floor line.

resistance

It's always a bit humorous to find a an installation where the homeowner is DIY to "save money" and they install receptacles "to Code"..... every 24" on CT and every 6' on floor line.
LOL!!!! Exactly!!! :lol:Yet, there is nothing wrong with extra?s!!!

Gac66610

Where is it in the codebook that receptacles can be spaced 48"s apart along a countertop?

I see a picture in the handbook and it shows 48" spacing, but

210.52(C)1 states:

(1) Wall Countertop Spaces. A receptacle outlet shall be
installed at each wall countertop space that is 300 mm
(12 in.) or wider. Receptacle outlets shall be installed so
that no point along the wall line is more than 600 mm
(24 in.) measured horizontally from a receptacle outlet in
that space.

It's also listed in the FAQ as being 48"s. And this was a test question, that I put 24"s on. Maybe I missed it.

Also 210.52(C)5

No higher than 20" off the counter top

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Ask as many questions as possible. If you don?t know it, ask!! Forget what others think?regardless how stupid the question may seem!!! Side note to electricians working within their license. There are some questions we shouldn't be asking?just being honest!!! Personally, I?ve forgotten a lot?because times are slow, and I?m not doing what I was doing 9 years ago. Example: Roping over two new houses per week. (Where applicable) But, I have no excuse to be asking if I should cut the neutral conductor first or the hot conductor when doing an overhead service change. @ 97, Keep the questions coming!! You have the best on this site!!!

:thumbsup: agree with you 100%. Ask questions. :thumbsup:

"the one who asks is a fool for 5 minutes the one who doesn't ask stays a fool forever"

Status
Not open for further replies.