Cowboy Pools

Mike410is

Occupation
Residential electrician
Hey I just wanted to know if anyone has seen these “cowboy pools”. It’s a metal stock tank that you attach a pump kit too. I have a family friend who is installing one and wants me to provide a GFCI outlet for it. Do you think I’m ok with just hooking it up to a GFCI circuit or would I need to bond the metal at 4 points?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The bonding requirements in Part II of Article 680 do not apply as I do not see this as a permanently install⁠ed pool.
In addition, if there is elevated Neutral to Earth voltage, bonding the tank without providing perimeter bonding would actually increase the hazard.

Mike410is

Occupation
Residential electrician
The bonding requirements in Part II of Article 680 do not apply as I do not see this as a permanently install⁠ed pool.
In addition, if there is elevated Neutral to Earth voltage, bonding the tank without providing perimeter bonding would actually increase the hazard.
Thank you for your reply

Mike410is

Occupation
Residential electrician
I’ve seen a few above ground pools here where they took a 4awg bare and ran it about 6in below grade completely around the pool and attached it to lugs on 4 points on the the pool frame. Then ran it to the pump and a little water bonding kit in the skimmer.

Buck Parrish

I’ve seen a few above ground pools here where they took a 4awg bare and ran it about 6in below grade completely around the pool and attached it to lugs on 4 points on the the pool frame. Then ran it to the pump and a little water bonding kit in the skimmer.
The NEC touches on bonding a permanently installed pool above ground only if the water is at least 42 inches deep.
Then I think bonding metal parts and the perimiter bond is also reqired.
I agree with Don, if it is not required do not do it.

Mike410is

Occupation
Residential electrician
The NEC touches on bonding a permanently installed pool above ground only if the water is at least 42 inches deep.
Then I think bonding metal parts and the perimiter bond is also reqired.
I agree with Don, if it is not required do not do it.
Thanks

Mystic Pools

Occupation
Swimming Pool Contractor
An excavator I work with just asked me about this a few days ago. He intended to buy a tank from Tractor Supply and wanted to know equipment needed.
I looked at Cowboy's equipment set and they offered a 3/4 hp pump. A 1/2 HP pump would be more than adequate for this volume of water.
I'd be interested to see when the water chemistry goes south and the affect on the galvanized.

Mike410is

Occupation
Residential electrician
An excavator I work with just asked me about this a few days ago. He intended to buy a tank from Tractor Supply and wanted to know equipment needed.
I looked at Cowboy's equipment set and they offered a 3/4 hp pump. A 1/2 HP pump would be more than adequate for this volume of water.
I'd be interested to see when the water chemistry goes south and the affect on the galvanized.
Yeah I’m curious how long it will hold up. Apparently they are getting pretty popular

retirede

We lived on a farm when my kids were growing up (12 and under). After buying a plastic pool every year, I went the stock tank route. I never had a pump or filter system. I’d chlorinate it occasionally and scoop out the leaves and dead frogs. I figured it was healthier than swimming in the pond that the cattle waded in. We used it 8 or 10 years and it looked like new when we were done with it.

Mike410is

Occupation
Residential electrician
We lived on a farm when my kids were growing up (12 and under). After buying a plastic pool every year, I went the stock tank route. I never had a pump or filter system. I’d chlorinate it occasionally and scoop out the leaves and dead frogs. I figured it was healthier than swimming in the pond that the cattle waded in. We used it 8 or 10 years and it looked like new when we were done with it.
Definitely seems to last

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
We lived in a small town
My kids were so proud of the pool they made. I wasn't nearly as pleased. Plastic tarp in the back of my fairly new Mazda pickup.