Crazy high!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knownot

Does this seem crazy high?

1308 sq ft basement fininshing in Charlotte, NC

Install new sub panel for basement finishing

Install NEC compliant 120v electrical wiring, boxes, switches (does not include dimmers), receptacles, breakers and safety switches for finishing of basement.

Install up to eighteen (18) customer supplied can lights in pre-determined locations in basement.

Install 240v wiring for 10kw furnace and new heat pump and make final electrical connections.

Install customer supplied smoke detectors for basement finishing bedrooms.

Prewire for three ceiling fans and mount three customer provided ceiling fans

Install dedicated circuit for sewer lift and wire alarm

Install dedicated circuit for stereo equipment

Provide electrical permit

$10500

Buck Parrish

Sounds good, I like it;
How far do you have to trench to get to the sewer alarm?
How high are the cielings?
Smokes will have to be tied in ? Or install through out ?

Knownot

Floor is already cut out for sewer lift and alarm, 5' to existing wall
ceilings are 10'
2 smokes interconnected in the basement only

satcom

No price is crazy when you have customer supplied material and fixtures, and a hard to read or understand contract

ceb58

Can all depend. How far and how much trouble to get feeder from sub panel to main panel. Are the walls and ceiling open or already sheet rocked? Is it being priced with a reputable EC with license and insurance. How bad of a situation for mobilizing material into work area? But with all this it dose seem a little high but I cannot see the environment the work will be done in.

cadpoint

This is the only one thing that scares me;

...Install up to eighteen (18) customer supplied can lights in pre-determined locations in basement.

That is; will the owner buy the right light, per the type of Building Code (class of strucutre)?

growler

$10500

This is the way I see it. If you can sell the job to the owner (based on quality & warranty & customer service ) then things are good but if you have to bid against 3-4 other contractors and they are going for low bid then I doubt you have much of a chance.

If this is what you have come up with I wouldn't change it, just wait and see how things go.

Knownot

When I saw the work area it was cluttered, the drawing did not have any of the clutter on it though. No definate location on the sub-panel, so I have to assume the farthest location 70' away. Walls and ceiling are open and should not have to fish any walls. It is a little tricky getting around to the back of the house. The GC is licenced. He called and said I was nearly double his next highest bid (nice to get feed back) and was wanting me to go back through and try and adjust my price.

jumper

When I saw the work area it was cluttered, the drawing did not have any of the clutter on it though. No definate location on the sub-panel, so I have to assume the farthest location 70' away. Walls and ceiling are open and should not have to fish any walls. It is a little tricky getting around to the back of the house. The GC is licenced. He called and said I was nearly double his next highest bid (nice to get feed back) and was wanting me to go back through and try and adjust my price.

You sure GC isn't just trying to get you to low ball price. The price would not be way out of normal range for my area.

growler

The GC is licenced. He called and said I was nearly double his next highest bid (nice to get feed back) and was wanting me to go back through and try and adjust my price.

I wouldn't work for this guy. Smells fishy. If you put a job out for bid and contractors give a legitimate bid then the one that can trim the most fat is supposed to get the job. That's why it's call a bid.
I can't stand this type of business dealing where they try to go back and ride everyone down.

USMC1302

I agree with Growler. Have you worked with this GC before regularly? If not, why would he call you back to shave down your price? He already got a much lower price, he should use it and see how he likes the results. sounds like the same old B.S. to me.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
Depends

Depends

Where do you live (work).

New York Vs the hills of Ohio.

Average cost for the US is $15-$35 for the 'whole' finished basement.

1308SF X $15 = $19620

1308SF X $35 = $45780

Now some of what you have (costs) are not in the SF cost of the basement.

What I do is, after I figure costs, is figure how long will it really take me. If we did not have this wonderful economy I would say the price is the price. And I did this for a very long time but contractors 'today' are beating the subs down.

nyerinfl

Install new sub panel for basement finishing

Install NEC compliant 120v electrical wiring, boxes, switches (does not include dimmers), receptacles, breakers and safety switches for finishing of basement.

Install up to eighteen (18) customer supplied can lights in pre-determined locations in basement.

Install 240v wiring for 10kw furnace and new heat pump and make final electrical connections.

Install customer supplied smoke detectors for basement finishing bedrooms.

Prewire for three ceiling fans and mount three customer provided ceiling fans

Install dedicated circuit for sewer lift and wire alarm

Install dedicated circuit for stereo equipment

Provide electrical permit

$10500

Sounds high to me, guess I'm the only one who thinks so.

growler

if you have to bid against 3-4 other contractors and they are going for low bid then I doubt you have much of a chance.

Sounds high to me, guess I'm the only one who thinks so.

I stated that I don't think he has much of a chance if he has to bid the job.

To many people out of work these days and a basement in January has always went cheaper than say in june or july because even in a good economy this is a slow month.

If the OP would give a breakdown of labor and materials used to figure the job it would give a better idea.

I don't like to tell anyone that they are to high when they have seen the job and I have not because they may know something that I don't.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
He called and said I was nearly double his next highest bid (nice to get feed back) and was wanting me to go back through and try and adjust my price.
So, if he's that open, ask him why he's not just going with that guy, or even the cheapest one.

Status
Not open for further replies.