Creating "critical loads" panel next to Main

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

Been getting a few battery backup/time of use jobs lately.

My question is about moving circuits from the main panel to the "critical loads" panel. A friend of mine told me you cannot splice onto a circuit in the Main panel, extend it, then land in a new panel.

Basically he is saying you are not supposed to use a panel as a "pass through" wireway for a circuit. So, we have been pulling the circuits we want out of the main, getting them in a gutter, and then splicing them from there into the new panel.

Can anyone confirm or prove wrong his theory? Any code references to passing through a panel and not landing in it?

thanks

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
I think this changed around the 2008 cycle or such. When I started in the industry I heard what that friend of yours told you quite a bit. Now I don't hear it anymore.

PWDickerson

Occupation
Solar Contractor
I have sat through a couple battery backup training courses where I was advised not to use the term "critical loads panel" to describe a typical residential backup loads panel. The NEC specifically defines the term "critical" as it applies to important backup loads, and there are a whole bunch of restrictions and requirements for "critical" systems. I use the term "backup loads panel".

I have sat through a couple battery backup training courses where I was advised not to use the term "critical loads panel" to describe a typical residential backup loads panel. The NEC specifically defines the term "critical" as it applies to important backup loads, and there are a whole bunch of restrictions and requirements for "critical" systems. I use the term "backup loads panel".

Agreed

Status
Not open for further replies.