Creative way of terminating GEC to ground rod

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandsnow

Perhaps you'd like to witness each and every electrician tightening the screw with their torgue screwdriver??? :happysad:

Comments like that are the exact reason I have only 1700 posts but have been a member for 10 years. Just not worth it, but like a moron I keep coming back.

Just so happens I do not even require a verification letter from the contractor that all terminations have been torqued. I believe the contractor has responsibility for his work in certain areas. If I was a big muscle flexer, I would ask for EMT set screw connectors to be torqued.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Comments like that are the exact reason I have only 1700 posts but have been a member for 10 years. Just not worth it, but like a moron I keep coming back.

Just so happens I do not even require a verification letter from the contractor that all terminations have been torqued. I believe the contractor has responsibility for his work in certain areas. If I was a big muscle flexer, I would ask for EMT set screw connectors to be torqued.
Lighten up! I was just heckling you in jest...:weeping:

Jon456

When I see more than a #6 on a ground rod, I feel awkward like, one of us is ignorant. Observer or installer?
I did not engineer this project, nor did I install it. So I guess that makes me an observer. :blink:

Here is an excerpt from the stamped engineered plans showing the 4/0 GEC to the ground rod:

PVPlans-DistributionPanel.gif

For the record, the company that designed the system and made the plans is not the same company that did the installation.

iwire

Staff member
Even ignoring any L&L or manufacture's instructions issues, it seems inappropriate to connect a 4/0 copper GEC to a 5/8" ground rod using only a 1/4" bronze screw to secure the lay-in lug to the water pipe clamp.

Is it really inapropriate or does it just look odd?

Consider the bonding screw for panelboards up to 400 amps is often just a 10-32 screw.

Consider the lugs on many large Siemens panels are installed with just 10-32 screws.

Status
Not open for further replies.