Crew Allotment

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
If you have a 300' run of (25) 4" conduits on the same trapeze could you have multiple crews working at different points? Say one crew at one end and another at the other end and working toward each other?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If these are threaded conduits then you cannot work them from both ends unless you're going to meet in a pull box or use Eriksons or split couplings where they meet.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Agreed. I think the same number of people could be used to make running the single run much faster.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
If you have a 300' run of (25) 4" conduits on the same trapeze could you have multiple crews working at different points? Say one crew at one end and another at the other end and working toward each other?
I am curious, I often answer your questions but, is this question being asked as an Estimator, or a Project Manager (i.e. someone directing the work)? The reason I ask is because as an estimator it shouldn't matter. As a PM, there are so many other ways this run could go than just people working on one end vs. the other.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
This is EMT. I'm asking because I have a certain amount of hours. The client is saying they need it done in 4 weeks. I said that impossible without 2nd shift and that might not even get it done in time. So that's when I thought about multiple crews to shorten the time frame

With it being EMT could you work both ends?

PaulMmn

Banned
Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
Is each crew working all 25 runs simultaneously? I'm thinking one crew starts, and the 2nd crew waits until they're say 5 segments ahead, then they start... first crew reaches the end, then starts the next run from the end back to the beginning. No problem with meeting in the middle, other than to say howdy.
I'm assuming each crew is up on a lift...

rambojoe

Occupation
Wireman
No. No way, unless some is in charge and its your top guys.
Plus in new construction we spend the time getting supports in the deck above.
You need to embrace productive curve.
So one crew with one guy very good at pipe (big pipe) and another to run it.
Even that scenerio i hate unless its someone i trust....repeat first sentence!
Its not the space shuttle but too many careless hands equal $$$$$
Get a rythm going and make money.

PaulMmn

Banned
Occupation
Strictly out of curiosity-- Are these all side by side on the same set of trapezes? I'm thinking a trapeze at least 8' wide.
I'm assuming multiple trapezes. How far apart are they? What's the length of a hunk of conduit?
What's the 'room' look like? Wide open spaces, or 'things' to work around?
Can anything be assembled on the floor and hoisted into position? Lay out the trapezes on the floor, line up all the conduit, then, with a lift at each trapeze, carefully (!) hoist the whole thing up...

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
No. No way, unless some is in charge and its your top guys.
Plus in new construction we spend the time getting supports in the deck above.
You need to embrace productive curve.
So one crew with one guy very good at pipe (big pipe) and another to run it.
Even that scenerio i hate unless its someone i trust....repeat first sentence!
Its not the space shuttle but too many careless hands equal $$$$$
Get a rythm going and make money.
So your saying you can't have 2 crews ..one at one end and another at the other ..working simultaneously? I was even thinking a 3rd(one in the middle) to get the work done in time.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Sorry it's (29) conduits and it's 30' in some areas and 60' in others and they want it in 4 weeks. Not possible the way I see it. Maybe with (3) separate crews. One on each end and one in middle but not sure that would be practical.

1724184030459.png

rambojoe

Occupation
Wireman
Strictly out of curiosity-- Are these all side by side on the same set of trapezes? I'm thinking a trapeze at least 8' wide.
I'm assuming multiple trapezes. How far apart are they? What's the length of a hunk of conduit?
What's the 'room' look like? Wide open spaces, or 'things' to work around?
Can anything be assembled on the floor and hoisted into position? Lay out the trapezes on the floor, line up all the conduit, then, with a lift at each trapeze, carefully (!) hoist the whole thing up...
You would need the Greenlee 696 magic wand for that to work.
Its still just pipe.
KISS

rambojoe

Occupation
Wireman
So your saying you can't have 2 crews ..one at one end and another at the other ..working simultaneously? I was even thinking a 3rd(one in the middle) to get the work done in time.
I would be pissed because im faster and better. Your rmv. I know a few of these other one line guys know what i mean.
A great lead on each team is paramount-
Otherwise one crew. Only you know these guys. Nothing like moving 1,000' of 4" because guys cant read prints.
Productive curve. After great planning one team will get faster everyday....

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Certainly you can, and it could work well. But, I think three crews could work in waves, with the first crew in the ceiling, hanging rod and strut, the second on the upper layer, and the third on the lower.

This way, you would have the crews close enough for one guy to be in control, yet far enough apart to not be in each other's way. If one crew gets too fast, move one or two guys to the slowest crew.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Y
This is EMT. I'm asking because I have a certain amount of hours. The client is saying they need it done in 4 weeks. I said that impossible without 2nd shift and that might not even get it done in time. So that's when I thought about multiple crews to shorten the time frame

With it being EMT could you work both ends?
Was that requirement in the bid? If not, you need to get additional money for accelerating the project.

PaulMmn

Banned
Occupation
You would need the Greenlee 696 magic wand for that to work.
I'd let you borrow mine, but it's in the shop for repairs. Parts on back-order, you know.
I see pictures of the setup for concerts in stadiums &c-- a truck full of trusses rolls in, and there are vertical trusses and a long horizontal truss with lights hung on it (all assembled at ground level), and the whole thing is hoisted up to where it can do some good. And they do it 3 or 4 times a month, maybe more.

rambojoe

Occupation
Wireman
I'd let you borrow mine, but it's in the shop for repairs. Parts on back-order, you know.
I see pictures of the setup for concerts in stadiums &c-- a truck full of trusses rolls in, and there are vertical trusses and a long horizontal truss with lights hung on it (all assembled at ground level), and the whole thing is hoisted up to where it can do some good. And they do it 3 or 4 times a month, maybe more.
Done it, been there... I was blessed to have very good bosses, foremen and office staff who sorta.broke down the big picture- and gave me daily expectations and breakdowns of a goal. I like daily goals... We were a good team.
The kiss was'nt directed towards anyone btw.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Certainly you can, and it could work well. But, I think three crews could work in waves, with the first crew in the ceiling, hanging rod and strut, the second on the upper layer, and the third on the lower.

This way, you would have the crews close enough for one guy to be in control, yet far enough apart to not be in each other's way. If one crew gets too fast, move one or two guys to the slowest crew.
Now that sounds like a sound way of going about it. Thanks