Crimp connector for grounding electrode conductor

Stevenfyeager

Occupation
electrical contractor
Inspector says I can add two conductors to a single one if I have a crimp tool. I have to add 2 more #6 wires to an existing one. What kind of connector is this?
Thank you

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Can you provide more details as to what you're doing? Are these all GEC's? Sound like you might have bonding jumpers which do not require crimp connections.

Stevenfyeager

Occupation
electrical contractor
Can you provide more details as to what you're doing? Are these all GEC's? Sound like you might have bonding jumpers which do not require crimp connections.
The inspector wants me to add two number six ground wires to an existing 6 ground wire that is going to the ground rods. I have 3 panels, and I had them daisychained together to the ground rods but he wants me to have each panel have their own wire and he’s allowing me to “crimp “ them in the wall to the original ground wire

The inspector wants me to add two number six ground wires to an existing 6 ground wire that is going to the ground rods. I have 3 panels, and I had them daisychained together to the ground rods but he wants me to have each panel have their own wire and he’s allowing me to “crimp “ them in the wall to the original ground wire
Sounds like a 250.64(D)(1) install. If that is the case, the connections to the taps would not need to be cramped a simple split bolt would suffice.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Sounds like a 250.64(D)(1) install. If that is the case, the connections to the taps would not need to be cramped a simple split bolt would suffice.
I agree. Bonding jumpers do not require irreversible connections. Split bolts are code compliant so if the inspector is requiring crimps for bonding jumpers he is incorrect.

Stevenfyeager

Occupation
electrical contractor
I agree. Bonding jumpers do not require irreversible connections. Split bolts are code compliant so if the inspector is requiring crimps for bonding jumpers he is incorrect.
Thank you. The inspector asked me if I had a crimping tool, saying I could crimp those two wires to the existing wire. So I will ask him if a split boat is OK he’s kind of picky.

A grounding electrode conductor tap shall extend to the
inside of each disconnecting means enclosure. The grounding
electrode conductor taps shall be sized in accordance with
250.66 for the largest service-entrance or feeder conductor
serving the individual enclosure. The tap conductors shall be
connected to the common grounding electrode conductor by
one of the following methods in such a manner that the
common grounding electrode conductor remains without a
splice or joint:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
He can be as picky as he wants as long he stays within the code and not make up his own rules. JMHO

Ron
I agree with Ron. Sounds like the inspector thinks that crimps are required but they not. If I wasn't planning on using crimps I wouldn't even think about crimping these connections.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
OK I just checked with the inspector and he says no. “ it must be an reversible splice “
I have to do what he says…
He's incorrect in that this requirement applies to "the" GEC, and not to taps onto it.

You're incorrect in that improper inspection calls can be appealed if you decide to.

Stevenfyeager

Occupation
electrical contractor
In this residence I have three panels sourced from the meter. In some other jurisdictions they allowed us to simply daisychain the ground wire together to all the panels. While he did not say that was wrong , He said we also need to run wires from each of the other two panels to the rods

In this residence I have three panels sourced from the meter. In some other jurisdictions they allowed us to simply daisychain the ground wire together to all the panels. While he did not say that was wrong , He said we also need to run wires from each of the other two panels to the rods
Many people struggle with gec connections to multiple service disconnect enclosures. However, how to do it is pretty clearly laid out in 250.64 (D)

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
He's incorrect. You can run a single #6 GEC to the rod from one panel and then splice on an additional bonding jumper to each of the other panels with split bolts. The GEC is the only conductor that requires irreversible splices not the bonding jumpers.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
As an alternative, you could run a single GEC from the point where the three panels are fed.

But directly to your situation, the taps to the existing GEC do not need to be irreversible.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Inspector is wrong, but I'd just crimp on a few c-taps and move on.

Mark
That would be easy and everyone would be happy but what if you didn't own a crimper? Would you rent one to install something that is not required by the NEC?