Crimp on butt-splice connectors allowed for 14ga & 12ga residential wiring?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
EMF ghosties have never burnt a house down, as far as I know.

But some are afraid it will cause a slow silent death. But same people must have their wireless phones and remote controls for all their gadgets.

Old homes with K & T wiring are going to have more EMF's because not all circuit conductors are in close proximity to one another very often with this wiring method.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
But some are afraid it will cause a slow silent death. But same people must have their wireless phones and remote controls for all their gadgets.

Old homes with K & T wiring are going to have more EMF's because not all circuit conductors are in close proximity to one another very often with this wiring method.

Installed correctly, the conductors in K&T are intentionally spaced. Take a look at Article 394. It specifies a minimum of 3 inches between conductors.

kwired

Electron manager
Installed correctly, the conductors in K&T are intentionally spaced. Take a look at Article 394. It specifies a minimum of 3 inches between conductors.

If ungrounded is traveling down one side of room and grounded is traveling down the other there is greater chance of EMF's being subjected to people in the room than in an NM cable with each conductor literally right next to each other.

Most of the time I see one conductor on one stud and the other conductor on the opposite side of wall or ceiling cavity about 14-15 inches away. Occasionally I see knobs with both conductors on either side of the fastening nail - which was probably not the way to do it. It is usually in limited areas and not the whole house - so there must have been a reason they did that in those cases.

K8MHZ

Occupation
Electrician
Occasionally I see knobs with both conductors on either side of the fastening nail - which was probably not the way to do it. It is usually in limited areas and not the whole house - so there must have been a reason they did that in those cases.

I have to go look (I have some K&T left over in my garage) but I think there is only one groove on a knob for the wire to go through.

kwired

Electron manager
I have to go look (I have some K&T left over in my garage) but I think there is only one groove on a knob for the wire to go through.

I just recently seen this done is why I thought of it. I know I have seen it a few other times though. Pretty sure there was a groove on each side of the nail. Like anything else there was likely more than one company making those and may have been more than one type from any one manufacturer also.

K8MHZ

Occupation
Electrician
I just recently seen this done is why I thought of it. I know I have seen it a few other times though. Pretty sure there was a groove on each side of the nail. Like anything else there was likely more than one company making those and may have been more than one type from any one manufacturer also.

Good point.

I won't bother climbing over the bench to check it out!

Status
Not open for further replies.