Cross-mating connector brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is everyone's take on cross-mating connectors of different brands? Especially with cut sheets listing the connector as 'MC4 compatible' or 'MC4 Comparable'.

I talked with an MC representative who said there is no such thing as an MC4 compatible connector that is not made by MC. He told me connectors must be of the same brand to satisfy listing for all brands of connectors. Obviously, he has an interest in promoting using only MC branded connectors.

My understanding is that no connectors of different brands have been tested together at UL, ETL, TUV. The problems that might arise are a non-perfect weather seal, the metal contacts not making correct contact, and the metallurgy of the metal contact parts. These problems could lead to ultimate failure of the connector over time.

Any thoughts or experience with this?

Carultch

What is everyone's take on cross-mating connectors of different brands? Especially with cut sheets listing the connector as 'MC4 compatible' or 'MC4 Comparable'.

I talked with an MC representative who said there is no such thing as an MC4 compatible connector that is not made by MC. He told me connectors must be of the same brand to satisfy listing for all brands of connectors. Obviously, he has an interest in promoting using only MC branded connectors.

My understanding is that no connectors of different brands have been tested together at UL, ETL, TUV. The problems that might arise are a non-perfect weather seal, the metal contacts not making correct contact, and the metallurgy of the metal contact parts. These problems could lead to ultimate failure of the connector over time.

Any thoughts or experience with this?

The other thing is, for some module manufacturers, you may not even get a reliable answer if you ask for the exact specifications of what connector they use. It is a moving target based on product availability, and could vary even among modules of the same part number.

No installer would want to stock a dozen different tools and connectors just to get a brand specific connector mate.

pcanning87

I've had the same experience with MC, hey absolutely won't approve other connectors.

Personally I've always been satisfied with a letter and test report from the other company (Tyco, Amphenol, etc) showing compatibility.

My old company was more conservative and required approval from the module manufacturer if mismatched connectors were used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.