CSA requirements

1965mt

I am buying a piece of equipment with a control panel from EU that meets the EU directives that will be installed in Canada. However, I am getting conflicting opinions regarding needing a CSA sticker. Some say yes, others some say as long as the components are CSA approved the panel is ok.

I am under the guidance that the local inspector will require an ESA (sp?) review and approval but no mention of the control panel itself.

This will be a basic start/stop 480v motor, 150hp range. May use a softstart.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

retirede

It’s been many years since I’ve been involved with this, but our equipment exported to Canada required CSA certification (label). Just having approved components was not sufficient. Hopefully someone with more recent experience will chime in.

Eddy_Current

The equipment as a complete system will need to be CSA approved or you will need a field evaluation done.
You can get ESA to do it, or there are other companies like E-safe that also do it.

BillyMac59

Occupation
Industrial Electrician
For the equipment to be legally energized in Canada, it requires CSA approval. Going forward, make this a requirement of out-of-country suppliers. The added up-front cost for this will save both time, money and aggravation down the road.

DBG

Occupation
Inspector
As a completed assembly it must be approved by an accredited certification or evaluation agency.
These agencies are accredited by the Standards Council of Canada.
CSA (Candian Standards Association) being one of many accredited agencies.