CSST safer in California?

Status
Not open for further replies.

renosteinke

Just for fun ... let me play devils' advocate.

What do plumbers share with electricians? Simple; most of our problems come from bad connections.

With that in mind, do you really want Handy Andy making up numerous threaded joints- or making a single run of CSST? I bet there are a lot more problems with leaking connections than with lightning strikes. Maybe having the DIY use CSST is an overall 'plus.'

Also, a few bits of trivia to entertain you:

Fact: Mechanical codes allow - contrary to popular belief- the use of galvanized pipe for gas.

Fact: RMC meets every ASTM specification that schedule 40 pipe does, plus has the additional requirement that the inside be 'smooth.'

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Fact: Mechanical codes allow - contrary to popular belief- the use of galvanized pipe for gas.
...'
But some gas utilities don't permit galvanized or copper. Our local utility will not turn on the gas to a new service if the gas piping is galvanized of copper, of course after the original service it turned on, the utility rarely gets another chance to look at the interior gas piping and often changes are made using galvanized, copper or even garden hose.

wondervamp

Occupation
Shop technician
Thanks to all the replies. At this time I've calmed down about the possibility of lightning as a threat. It is the fact that it would be concealed in the drywall that freaks me out. I know where the stuff is and could live with it safely without disturbing it. However there is a high likelihood that I will sell my house in the future and I could not in clear conscious keep that stuff in the wall. I would be worried about the new owners drilling into the wall and puncturing this stuff. I've seen non trades people drill, nail, etc. into walls not knowing what the heck they're doing.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
You are aware there is a class action lawsuit against the mfgs of CSST.
Also some tankless water heaters mfgs don't recommend CSST, due to the high gas flows it can making a whoosing shound for small sizes of CSST.
My tankless is 180,000 BTUs and its 1" black iron from the meter with a short section of 3/4" to the tankless. It works great and has dropped my gas bill.

Galt

Occupation
master electrician and refrigeration service tech.
Gastite is making a gas tubing called flash shield .Its supposed to offer better lightning protection.

SceneryDriver

Occupation
Electrical and Automation Designer
Gonna play devil's advocate here:
CSST, while possibly having issues with lightning induced arcing, has a definite leg up in earthquake country. In face, the Japanese developed CSST specifically BECAUSE of iron pipe joints breaking during earthquakes and causing gas fires. In the Bay Area, I'd be more concerned with earthquakes than lightning.

If you're concerned with other trades puncturing it, consider nailing plates like are used with Romex.

SceneryDriver

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
Have definitely thought about this as well.

nail plates already required and case hardened and a proprietary product and part of a listed assembly.

As stated works well in earthquake prone areas if installed correctly.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.