Cubicle wired to wall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
Facility Senior Electrician
I've been asked if I can wire some office furniture. Here's a pic of the setup. They have liquid tight whips and they want me to wire it to the box in the wall where the receps are now.

What is the best way to do this?
Thanks

IMG_3471.jpg

RUWired

You might want to put in a two gang box for that whip. Your conductor fill for the box will be over.

Rick

TT009

I would read 605, also if you're supplying the office furniture with more than one circuit you must break them simultaneously.

paul

Single gang to 4"sq extension ring with a 4"sq blank is how we do them. For some reason, certain inspectors make life tough with the stainless cover with a 1/2" hole.

Jim W in Tampa

Could be a violation here depending on how many receptacles already are on this circuit. 180 va per yoke. And you might want to just add a 2 gang box next to that outlet as i see a white cord using half of the receptacle.

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
Facility Senior Electrician
Could be a violation here depending on how many receptacles already are on this circuit. 180 va per yoke. And you might want to just add a 2 gang box next to that outlet as i see a white cord using half of the receptacle.

Thanks for the great input guys. Not worried about the 180 va per yoke. There are three circuits on that wall and they will be feeding only the 5 cubicles there. The receps will all be removed or "effectively removed by being inaccessible between cubicle and wall. The white cord is feeding the equipment that the cubicles will power.

Thanks all. Not sure what I will do but great comments.

btharmy

If it is a roughed in 4"sq box with single gang mud ring then single gang stainless blank w/ 1/2" hole. If it is a metal cut in then you could remove it, cut hole to accept 2 gang, or it's probably less labor to just cut in new 2 gang box & run cable to box above the ceiling feeding the receptacle. Then, of course, 2 gang stainless plate w 1/2" hole. Don't forget to trim some of that sealtite back to expose more conductors to work with. You can buy plates with holes pre-punched. If you drill them, don't hold them with your hand while drilling. Oh yes, I've seen it done. Good thing I had a well stocked first aid kit in the van. He got a row of stitches at an angle across his entire palm. Stupid is all I can say.

cschmid

4x4 extension box but it really depends on how far from the wall you want to be..once these units are assembled they are very hard to move complete. I actually like that unit you pictured. I blieve box fill requirements are what you are looking for as far as size go..

wireguru

I would use a weatherproof box extender, the kind with the 1/2in threaded holes on the sides. Then put a blank SS cover on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.