Curious

billydrowne

Occupation
electrician
Saw something weird today and im curios what everyone else thinks, and il try to give as many details as possible. Been doing a residential service upgrade over the last two days, today was new panel, cut power and switch everything over. 200a meter main. 4 wire off the load side to a main lug panel. All gas appliances and no 3 wire 240v circuits. I took my meter out after everything was pulled, and the biggest detail i can think of is that i had the entire panel made up before metering everything for shorts, with separated neutrals and grounds in a main lug panel with the bonding screw removed, and the meter socket not made up yet with the exception of the wire going out to ground rods, you should not read continuity between neutral and ground bus bars? I was ringing out, by the time i did my brain was fried and i couldn't make sense of why it was happening.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
You have 4 wires going to the sub panel. The grounding electrode conductor is connected to the neutral I assume and the equipment grounding conductor is connected to the neutral bar in the main panel.

billydrowne

Occupation
electrician
You have 4 wires going to the sub panel. The grounding electrode conductor is connected to the neutral I assume and the equipment grounding conductor is connected to the neutral bar in the main panel.
GEC goes to ground bar, grounded conductor to neutral bar, everything separated after first disconnect outside

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Saw something weird today and im curios what everyone else thinks, and il try to give as many details as possible. Been doing a residential service upgrade over the last two days, today was new panel, cut power and switch everything over. 200a meter main. 4 wire off the load side to a main lug panel. All gas appliances and no 3 wire 240v circuits. I took my meter out after everything was pulled, and the biggest detail i can think of is that i had the entire panel made up before metering everything for shorts, with separated neutrals and grounds in a main lug panel with the bonding screw removed, and the meter socket not made up yet with the exception of the wire going out to ground rods, you should not read continuity between neutral and ground bus bars? I was ringing out, by the time i did my brain was fried and i couldn't make sense of why it was happening.
If there is a GEC going to the meter socket, the N-G bond is probably in there.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
GEC goes to ground bar, grounded conductor to neutral bar, everything separated after first disconnect outside
My point is if you ohm between the ground and neutral at the sub panel where they are separated, they are still connected together at the main panel so of course you will have an ohm reading

billydrowne

Occupation
electrician
My point is if you ohm between the ground and neutral at the sub panel where they are separated, they are still connected together at the main panel so of course you will have an ohm reading
Yes i agree, but those werent terminated yet, only my wire going to the rods. Everything was dangling out of the meter socket when i ohmed out in the panel.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I would first use my solenoid tester to see if 'real' power can flow from a hot line to each conductor in turn to see whether either or both are actually grounded.