Current-carrying conductors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

My inverter output power is single phase, 240/120, 3W. In this case, is the neutral considered a "current-carrying conductor"? Also, would the EGC ever be considered a current-carrying conductor? (therefore, would I ever have to take it into account when doing conductor de-rating?)

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Andy

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
First of all, you need to recognize that the NEC is borderline schizophrenic on this issue.
If there are any line to neutral loads the neutral is by definition a current carrying conductor. And the EGC never is.
But you are asking about something else. Not all current carrying conductors are "current carrying conductors which are counted for ampacity adjustments".
In a very clearly specified set of circumstances (all involving multiwire branch, feeder, or service circuits) the neutral may be current carrying but is not counted.
One of them is a three wire 120/240V circuit.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

publicgood

Current-carrying conductors

But you are asking about something else. Not all current carrying conductors are "current carrying conductors which are counted for ampacity adjustments".
In a very clearly specified set of circumstances (all involving multiwire branch, feeder, or service circuits) the neutral may be current carrying but is not counted.
One of them is a three wire 120/240V circuit.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Would you provide code references to support this?

319.15(B)(5) Neutral Conductor.
(a) A neutral conductor that carries only the unbalanced current from other conductors of the same circuit shall not be required to be counted when applying the provisions of 310.15(B)(3)(a).
(b) In a 3-wire circuit consisting of two phase conductors and the neutral conductor of a 4-wire, 3-phase, wye-connected system, a common conductor carries approximately the same current as the line-to-neutral load currents of the other conductors and shall be counted when applying the provisions of 310.15(B)(3)(a).
(c) On a 4-wire, 3-phase wye circuit where the major portion of the load consists of nonlinear loads, harmonic currents are present in the neutral conductor; the neutral conductor shall therefore be considered a current-carrying conductor.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Would you provide code references to support this?
He doesn't have to. You just did it for him, though you made a typo....

310.15(B)(5) Neutral Conductor.
(a) A neutral conductor that carries only the unbalanced current from other conductors of the same circuit shall not be required to be counted when applying the provisions of 310.15(B)(3)(a).
(b) In a 3-wire circuit consisting of two phase conductors and the neutral conductor of a 4-wire, 3-phase, wye-connected system, a common conductor carries approximately the same current as the line-to-neutral load currents of the other conductors and shall be counted when applying the provisions of 310.15(B)(3)(a).
(c) On a 4-wire, 3-phase wye circuit where the major portion of the load consists of nonlinear loads, harmonic currents are present in the neutral conductor; the neutral conductor shall therefore be considered a current-carrying conductor.
FIFY. :D

Carultch

Hi,

My inverter output power is single phase, 240/120, 3W. In this case, is the neutral considered a "current-carrying conductor"? Also, would the EGC ever be considered a current-carrying conductor? (therefore, would I ever have to take it into account when doing conductor de-rating?)

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Andy

In most cases with PV inverters, the neutral does not count as a current-carrying-conductor for derating purposes, unless it is immediately obvious that it has to carry the full load as in the case of single-phase-to-neutral units. Sometimes you can run an EGC-sized neutral, but you have to first confirm with the inverter manufacturers, what the maximum current on the neutral will be. Not something they usually document in datasheets or manuals.

Some examples of what the neutral is used to do:
1. Voltage sensing, effective grounding. Never gonna see a full ampere of current.
2. Internal power supplies
3. Return current for unbalanced loads, in the event that the inverter is built from multiple phase-to-neutral units. These do not necessarily all operate at once, so when loads are low, it can be the case that only two out of three are running.
4. Harmonic currents that accumulate on the neutral, instead of cancel.

In all but #4, of the above cases, the gross sum of the current among all 4 wires, never exceeds what the gross sum of what it would be if the full operational amperes were exclusive to only the ungrounded conductors. In the case of #4, this is rarely significant enough to render the neutral a CCC, for 310.15(B)(3)(a) purposes, because it is usually limited to a small minority of the total current. By "gross sum", I mean add up the magnitudes of the current, ignoring the fact that they are on different phases. What really matters is the sum of the squares, but we'll make a conservative assumption and ignore that.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Hi,

The short answers are: No and no.

Status
Not open for further replies.