current on a grounding electrode conductor

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
Re: current on a grounding electrode conductor

Originally posted by whrobinson:
Its necessary to ensure proper bonding through the use of a "Kenny Clamp" grounding electrode connector.
Hey not that it sounds like a bad idea but perhaps as the inventor of record for the Kenny Clamp you might be a little bias. ;)

From Here
5,912,434, Re. S.N. 09/614,707, Jul. 12, 2000, Cl. 174/078, KENNY
CLAMP, Wayne H. Robinson, Owner of Record: Inventor, Attorney or Agent:
Robert Halper, Ex. Gp.: 2831

[ October 14, 2003, 09:21 PM: Message edited by: iwire ]

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

And myself. Wayne you should be open with your intent. I have and will continue to use city hubs on metalic conduits and other than that use methods that have been approved to date.

Roger

G

Originally posted by tom baker:
<snip> it is a good idea...and actually the only way to meet code in terminating the GEC into a panel.
I read the patent for the Kenny Clamp. It does look pretty neat. I missed the 1999 code cycle and also the first introduction of the Kenny Clamp. It was patented twice. Once in 1997 & once in 2000.

When I bring the GEC into a panel (assuming using #6 AC) I bring the AC into AC connectors and then use a 1/2" grounding lug inside the panel. The bare solid #6 copper comes through the connector, bites into the grounding lug, and lands on the ground buss. Here is the bushing I use at the panel end:

381.gif

At the rod end I use the clamp pictured here (bottom):

roll_8.gif

The Kenny Clamp looks huge (long). It seems long enough that it would require a brace clamp to the wall to keep it from torquing and getting loose. Is it just fastened to the panel with a locknut?

You can view the Kenny Clamp at the USPTO (you need to install a viewer like Alteratiff to view the patent drawings). Click on Help to download an image viewer appropriate for your OS and browser. Here is the patent abstract:
Kenny Clamp patent abstract
Here is the image link: Kenny Clamp images

I wasn't able to view all the patent pages. What sets the Kenny Clamp apart? Thanks!

brian john

Having never seen or heard of the K clamp, (I could not open the link), I have to be a little cynical here, let me see; the latest, greatest, we can't live without it. While it might be a great improvement on the past that we can't move forward without one seems a bit over the top. Unless this helps us can changing lead to gold, then I'm in on it! LOL

actually, the new patent pending product is not available for viewing at the patent office. This is the product were talking about. I'll be glad to e-mail you the product information. Joe Tedesco has a picture on his site. E-mail me at maddog212@comcast.net

I'm not closed minded to new products and time saving applications. Don't be negative until you have send and used the product. I am the inventor, but the product is priced reasonably and serves many different applications, 250.64(E), 250.8, Ul 467, Ul 486(A) just a few. If the shoe fits.

iwire

Staff member

I think most of us have an open mind, but for myself I am not going to take the word of the person who is selling the product.

At the very least IMO you should have stated from your first mention of this product that you stand to make money from the sale of it.

i'm just the inventor not the manufacturer, I don't sell product. Its a great connector for bonding grounding electrode conductors, bonding jumpers, grounding conductors and is the only connector of its type at this time. Its only been available since August 2003, thought the industry would be interested. There are other listed methods and as long as one of the methods is used, it satisfies the code and me. Money was not my intention when I responded to the issue. Sorry your dissapointed.

G

It would be nice if the inventor made money too. I guess you are confirming the rumor that only the patent attorney's, and manufacturers really make any money in the invention business :)

And what about all those invention submission ads on TV? They must be bogus too :)

whatsupgraphic.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.