Current Transformer Neutral Bonding

Status
Not open for further replies.

dumontm

IEEE Std 141-1993 11.8.1 Current Transformers 4th paragraph states:

"Current transformers must have a secondary circuit ground at one point when they are required to be grounded. The National Electrical Code (NEC), ANSI/NFPA 70-1993 [B5], Section 250-L, specifes minimum grounding requirements for instrument transformers. The ground will establish a firm ground reference point and will restrict the buildup of static voltages caused by the high-voltage conductor(s)."

I am unable to locate Section 250-L in the 2005 NEC, the only copy I have access to.

Can someone summarize what the section intends? Is it common to ground the neutral conductors of a 3-phase CT arrangement for safety reasons? What situations would make it legitimate to leave it ungrounded.

Our particular arrangement was feeding information into a genset control panel and the manufacturer's info suggested grounding was optional. Unfortunately as I write this I no longer have a copy of the manual in front of me (it is at site) and cannot recall if there were criteria attached the the "optional" statement.

This is for a Canadian installation and I cannot locate any specific reference in the Canadian code for such installations. It appears it was also removed from the NEC but I am wondering what was there and why, and why it was removed.

Regards,
Mark Dumont
Calgary, Alberta

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Mark,
Your reference is to the 1993 NEC. Article 250 was reorganized in 1999. What was Section L in the 93 code is section IX in the 2005 code. 250.170.
Don

Status
Not open for further replies.