Current Transformer or CT wires

Todd0x1

I don't know if this is an issue, but I believe that in factory twisted wiring the individual strands are twisted in the opposite direction from the pair twisting so that there is no net twist putting strain on the insulation.
yes its called planetary twist which wraps the wires around eachother without twisting to putting any tension on the conductors. Drill has the potential to damage the wire.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I have to extend the Consumption CT wires for an Enphase Solar System. The call out is to use a 18-20 AWG twisted pair. I checked that it costs $200 for a 100-foot 600V coil. That is incredibly expensive than a #12 awg wires.
I found that in a local hardware store, they sell #18 AWG doorbell wires for $0.39 per foot.

Can I use that? Thanks
View attachment 2566682
If the requirement is part of the spec package or drawing, you don't have a choice. That's what you bid, that's what you install. Otherwise, you owe the customer the difference in cost between the two, or the customer can require you pull out the homebrew cable and install what the spec/drawing requires.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
If the requirement is part of the spec package or drawing, you don't have a choice. That's what you bid, that's what you install. Otherwise, you owe the customer the difference in cost between the two, or the customer can require you pull out the homebrew cable and install what the spec/drawing requires.
Specs need to be followed, however if they don't included more details, like a suggested part number, then simply saying a 'twisted pair' doesn't excluded a wrap your own solution.

Todd0x1

Specs need to be followed, however if they don't included more details, like a suggested part number, then simply saying a 'twisted pair' doesn't excluded a wrap your own solution.
I'll argue that a 'twisted pair' is a factory made assembly and not a couple wires twisted together in a drill. (the two are rather different). Now if you happen to own a planetary wire twisting machine then maybe you could assemble your own as it would be identical to the factory made product, but there's still the issue of UL.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
I'll argue that a 'twisted pair' is a factory made assembly and not a couple wires twisted together in a drill. (the two are rather different). Now if you happen to own a planetary wire twisting machine then maybe you could assemble your own as it would be identical to the factory made product, but there's still the issue of UL.
Does UL get involved in the twist or are they just interested in the insulation rating?
The stress from being non-planetary might be a concern for a 1000' spool, but wont be a problem on a 30' run. If it was there would be problems in many pulls through conduit, where conductors regularly twist.
At least one manufacturer, New England Wire Technologies, does not mention less insulation stress as one of the reasons for planetary twisting.
This improves cable flexibility, reduces cable memory and improves the overall aesthetics of the final product.

I am not against following specs, I am just saying don't read more into them than what they say.

Todd0x1

Does UL get involved in the twist
I believe so. The stuff I have made has a UL sticker for processed wire, in addition to the UL listing of the wire itself. I think UL wants to make sure the wire isn't being damaged during processing.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
It has to be twisted. This is per the CT manufacturers as well as those who make the stuff the CT lands on. Its a tight twist, 1 per inch usually. Necessary for measurement accuracy.
In this case Enphase has not called that out.
I think whoever called it out is probably overthinking things.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
I agree. We have extended CT wiring by both field twisting and by not twisting and it never made any difference.
Yep.

If it did, there would be readily available specs and recommendations from the manufacturers of monitoring equipment that can capture waveforms and utilities that care about accuracy.

Todd0x1

Yep.

If it did, there would be readily available specs and recommendations from the manufacturers of monitoring equipment that can capture waveforms and utilities that care about accuracy.
Enphase says to not extend leads on revenue CTs because it will kill the required accuracy.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Enphase says to not extend leads on revenue CTs because it will kill the required accuracy.
If it's the kind that generates a voltage across a resistor internal to the CT, then yes, since the resistance of the wiring is part of a voltage divider network and a change in length will change the reading. If it is the type without an internal resistor, then no; the only resistance that contributes to the calculation is the one in the sensing equipment.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
If there is a spec, and it's written by a half-competent engineer, it will include a section on approved manufacturers with an "or equal." Don't get cute and try to think a roll your own solution is "or equal." You'll need to prove that to the engineer.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
If there is a spec, and it's written by a half-competent engineer, it will include a section on approved manufacturers with an "or equal." Don't get cute and try to think a roll your own solution is "or equal." You'll need to prove that to the engineer.
But what if they do not provide any example, but simply say 'twisted conductors'.
They either need to clearly tell you what is expected, provide an example, or live with what you think is appropriate.

As it appears in the OP, many so called specs are really nothing more than recommendations from manufacturers.

Todd0x1

That's for consumption CTs. I said revenue CTs. From pg 11 here: https://enphase.com/download/guidelines-current-transformer-ct-installation

"Production CT lead wires must not be extended, if revenue grade production metering is required. These
CTs are certified for revenue-grade production metering. Extending lead wires voids the certification."

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Occupation
Solar EPC
That's for consumption CTs. I said revenue CTs. From pg 11 here: https://enphase.com/download/guidelines-current-transformer-ct-installation

"Production CT lead wires must not be extended, if revenue grade production metering is required. These
CTs are certified for revenue-grade production metering. Extending lead wires voids the certification."
And from page 12 is the true recommendation:

Consumption meter lead wires can be extended to be installed in panels away from where the lQ Gateway is located. These wires may be extended to a maximum of 1.5 Ohms per wire and 3 Ohms for both wires end to end. Appropriately rated, 0.75 mm2 to 1.5 mm2, twisted-pair wire cable is recommended. Install in accordance with all applicable electrical codes and standards.

Table 1: Cable manufacturer and description

ManufacturerCable descriptionRecommended length extension
Elcon CablesElcon/LAPP instrumentation cable 1.5 mm2 (1 or 3 core)100 m (328 ft)
Clipsal CBusCat. 5e rated 4 pair unshielded twisted pair (UTP) cable50 m (164 ft)
BeldenBelden 8471NH unshielded twisted pair cable (1.33 mm2)75 m (246 ft)

I too have been searching for an economical solution to this issue.

I called Enphase because I need to do a 50 ft extension. They were very adamant that the wires needed to be twisted for that length to minimize noise.

To throw another wrench in the mix, the Cat5e cable they recommend in the table is 24awg and doesn't even follow their own sizing guidelines in the paragraph above.

Also, as a tangent response to a point that was brought up in the thread, twisting a pair of wire neutralizes the magnetic fields generated by each conductor in the pair itself, not external fields.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator & NEC Expert
Staff member
Occupation
Master Electrician
And from page 12 is the true recommendation:

Consumption meter lead wires can be extended to be installed in panels away from where the lQ Gateway is located. These wires may be extended to a maximum of 1.5 Ohms per wire and 3 Ohms for both wires end to end. Appropriately rated, 0.75 mm2 to 1.5 mm2, twisted-pair wire cable is recommended. Install in accordance with all applicable electrical codes and standards.

Table 1: Cable manufacturer and description

ManufacturerCable descriptionRecommended length extension
Elcon CablesElcon/LAPP instrumentation cable 1.5 mm2 (1 or 3 core)100 m (328 ft)
Clipsal CBusCat. 5e rated 4 pair unshielded twisted pair (UTP) cable50 m (164 ft)
BeldenBelden 8471NH unshielded twisted pair cable (1.33 mm2)75 m (246 ft)

I too have been searching for an economical solution to this issue.

I called Enphase because I need to do a 50 ft extension. They were very adamant that the wires needed to be twisted for that length to minimize noise.

To throw another wrench in the mix, the Cat5e cable they recommend in the table is 24awg and doesn't even follow their own sizing guidelines in the paragraph above.

Also, as a tangent response to a point that was brought up in the thread, twisting a pair of wire neutralizes the magnetic fields generated by each conductor in the pair itself, not external fields.
Twisting wires induces noise equally into each conductor and cancels the external noise. That is why cat 5, 5e data wire is twisted