Customer management

OK Sparky 93

Occupation
Electrician
How and what do you use to keep customer information and how they found you.

Also has anyone used EXCEL or something like to create a job proposal, email if needed or show to customer on the spot?

Then convert this to an invoice, and accept payment?

I have seen some say they use quickbooks to create a flat rate price.

I know there are all kinds of subscription based apps and what not, but I am trying find a way to keep from spending the money. Plus if you got to a point that you decided to walk away from something, then all of your customers info is inaccessible.

marmathsen

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I use QuickBooks desktop for all my customer information, quotes, invoicing and other bookkeeping. I don't write down how we got connected with customers, I just remember. If I ever wanted to leave QuickBooks I could always export the information. Unfortunately I can't access QuickBooks information in the field but I'm ok with that. We're a small 4 person company if that matters.

Rob

OK Sparky 93

Occupation
Electrician
I just started watching some videos on QB’s products and services.

I can see how you could create a flat rate for just about anything.
With it only showing a total price and not a break down on labor
And material cost. One would just need to to know and be quick enough to spit out a number for customer that wants to supply their own material. But with that in mind, if you take your vehicle to the shop, they generally don’t install parts that they don’t sell.

I am currently paying for a subscription device that allows me to store my customer base and track how they found me. Create and save estimates and send invoices and collect payments.

Also send request for review.

I am realizing that QB does a portion of this.

With an iPad you could carry in the truck and have access to QB, I would think these things could be done.

I suspect as long as I am in operation I will be using QB’s

Does anyone use the inventory feature in QB’s? How is it working?

Birken Vogt

I used the inventory feature in QB but have switched to Fieldedge for actual customer interaction.

A true CMS does a lot more customer interaction stuff than QB and that's what was needed.

OK Sparky 93

Occupation
Electrician
I used the inventory feature in QB but have switched to Fieldedge for actual customer interaction.

A true CMS does a lot more customer interaction stuff than QB and that's what was needed.
How long have you been using Fieldedge, what are the fees?

Do you still use the QB’s for bookkeeping?

Birken Vogt

Only a few weeks in earnest on Fieldedge. The fees are many hundreds per month but figured to be worth it to our business model which is a lot of service customers and a few employees. I think you always are going to have to have QB at the backend for managing bank accounts, ordering from vendors, taxes, and stuff like that. FE just helps with customers, quoting, and time management. #1 feature I am hooked on is clocking in and out of job sites right now on an ipad. I was a pen and paper person but the ipad just makes it so much easier for the papers not to get out of control.

CurrentFlow

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I am using Quickbooks online and I hate it. It is a subscription software and they have upsell ads on every page. It is not intuitive as the older versions of QB were and the ads make me angry. I saw another software package called Jobber but it seems like they are not U.S. based and they ask some rather detailed questions that don't seem applicable so I halted the free signup process for now. I am interested in hearing more ideas on this forum.

CurrentFlow

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I just checked out the Fieledge website & videos. I plan to talk with them next week. Thanks for sharing this.

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
I hate quick books they overcharge at least for the online. Get the desk top version from a friend.
I switch to housecall pro not bad, still looking