Cutting Riser Feeders

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstrlucky74

If you have a long vertical riser, say 120’, of #600 mcm andyou must cut the feeders to make a splice are there any precautions one musttake due to the stress(if any) on the wire? Could something dangerous happen when the cuts are made? I’mthinking there should be cable supports in the box. Thanks.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If the riser conductors are already properly supported you might not need to do anything. If you're cutting right above the cable support then no problem, if you're cutting 3 floors above then you might want to take some precautions.

mstrlucky74

If the riser conductors are already properly supported you might not need to do anything. If you're cutting right above the cable support then no problem, if you're cutting 3 floors above then you might want to take some precautions.

Thanks. This forum should add a "like" button.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
You are not able to make an insulation piercing splice?
Fortunately wire does not stretch much.
A buddy of mine was caving (spelunking) once and had just enough nylon climbing rope to reach the bottom of a deep pit.
When he got to the bottom and let go of the rope the end sprang back about ten feet above his reach. :(.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

nickelec

You are not able to make an insulation piercing splice?
Fortunately wire does not stretch much.
A buddy of mine was caving (spelunking) once and had just enough nylon climbing rope to reach the bottom of a deep pit.
When he got to the bottom and let go of the rope the end sprang back about ten feet above his reach. :(.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Wow how did he get out i see many movie scenes in my head right now

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.