Daisy chain recessed lites

Status
Not open for further replies.

hank1

In some local municipalities the AHJ won't allow me to daisy chain recessed lites in a drop ceiling, using greenfield, under 6' with a ground. I never asked in detail why, but I'm asking now. Are they not allowing the whips to be considered as a branch circuit conductor? Since the whip from the first can to the 2nd can would be considered a branch circuit.

hank :confused:

russ

Re: Daisy chain recessed lites

If your using the NEC as your code and there's no local restriction on FMC, I see no reason for not allowing it.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor

Iggy,

The URL you posted is not working properly. Would you please check it and edit your post ?
Thanks.

Never mind - here is the correct link :
EC&M article

[ December 15, 2004, 05:42 PM: Message edited by: goldstar ]

vanwalker

is there something that would not allow this because it would disconnect the light down stream if removed ? THANKS GEO

physis

Isn't there an issue of securing at 12 inches of the box?

Hmmm.

I find that requirement for FMC.

For MC I find an argument between 330.30(B)(2) and 330.30(C).

I think if 330.30(B)(2) were an exeption to 330.30 there would not be a problem.

I think you're describing what happens when the code has internal conflicts. :)

guesseral

Ok what does this all mean? I have read the EC&M article and got pretty confused.
I understand daisy chain wiring of recessed fixtures (cans) with a factory installed JB marked with the cubic in capacity and wired with an recognized wiring method from article 300 is allowed.
My question has always been what about recessed 2x4 fixtures. I have always contended that this was not allowed by code (even though I see it all the time) because I have never seen a 2x4 fixture that is marked with a cubic in captaincy or any other markings that would allow this installation. But the EC&M article lists end to end installation fixtures (which I always took as fixtures such as strip fixtures) such as 2x4's. I have always thought that the only legal way to wire from fixture to fixture with a 2x4 application was to use a manufactured wiring system (such as relock) where the wiring system was external to the fixture and the only wires going into the fixture were the wires feeding the fixture!
This actually an embarrassing question so please be kind!

steve66

Occupation
Engineer

Sounds to me like one branch circuit into a fixture and one out to the next fixture is almost always allowed. But if you start feeding 2 or more fixtures out of one, or running other wires through the fixture, then you have to pay closer attention.

Steve

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Physis wrote
For MC I find an argument between 330.30(B)(2) and 330.30(C)
This appears to have changed for 2005. There is no 330.30(B)(2) in NEC-2005.

Can you write out the code? Loaned out my 2002. :(

physis

Ok George, you loan out your code book and I get penalized. :D

330.30(B) Unsupported Cables. Type MC cable shall be permitted to be unsupported where the cable:

(2)Is not more than 1.8 m (6ft.) from the last point of support for connections within an accessible ceiling to luminaire(s) [lighting fixture(s)] or equipment.

330.30(C) At Terminations. Cables containing four or fewer conductors, sized no larger than 10 AWG, shall be secured within 300 mm (12 in.) of every box, cabinet, fitting or other cable termination.

hurk27

I never ran into this (won't allow me to daisy chain recessed lites)

AS 410.11 allows it for only the circuits feeding the lights. It does allow other branch circuits if the fixture is identified for through-wiring.

410.11 Temperature Limit of Conductors in Outlet Boxes.
Luminaires (fixtures) shall be of such construction or installed so that the conductors in outlet boxes shall not be subjected to temperatures greater than that for which the conductors are rated.
Branch-circuit wiring, other than 2-wire or multiwire branch circuits supplying power to luminaires (fixtures) connected together, shall not be passed through an outlet box that is an integral part of a luminaire (fixture) unless the luminaire (fixture) is identified for through-wiring.
FPN: See 410.32 for wiring supplying power to fixtures connected together.
410.32 Wiring Supplying Luminaires (Fixtures) Connected Together.
Luminaires (fixtures) designed for end-to-end connection to form a continuous assembly, or luminaires (fixtures) connected together by recognized wiring methods, shall be permitted to contain the conductors of a 2-wire branch circuit, or one multiwire branch circuit, supplying the connected luminaires (fixtures) and need not be listed as a raceway. One additional 2-wire branch circuit separately supplying one or more of the connected luminaires (fixtures) shall also be permitted.
410.32 is only for the allowed circuits that feed the fixtures, but it does allow for more than one circuit also. This would depend upon if you have single phase or 3-phase using a multiwire circuit. as single phase would limit you to 4 circuits but 3-phase would allow you to have 6 switched circuits.

[ December 23, 2004, 08:33 PM: Message edited by: hurk27 ]

Status
Not open for further replies.