Daisy Chaining Strip Fixtures

Status
Not open for further replies.

CH287

Occupation
Electrician
I'm currently building a Storage Unit in FL. We have hundreds of 4' Strip fixtures mounted directly to the ceiling. The fixtures are allowed to be end to end. We installed MC cable in one end of the fixture and out the other to the next light. They are separated by about 5'. Since there are EM Strip Fixtures, every other fixture, we are running 12/3 MC through each fixture for the EM Batteries. At some points we are coming out of the strip fixtures and feeding an exit sign with a 12/2 Whip.
We just had inspection and the inspector is quoting NEC 410.64 - We are not allowed to use the fixtures as a raceway. Saying we are not allowed to go in one end and out the other, he is also saying we are not allowed to feed the exit sign from another fixture.

My fixtures specifically say they are allowed to be end to end which would allow what we are doing from exception "C" of 410.64 as it specifically says "connected together by approved wiring methods"
Also NEC Section 300.15B allows luminaires to act in lie of boxes as long as they have a J-Box or Wiring compartment.

Anyone have any ideas on how to counter this? or am I completely wrong in this?

CH287

Occupation
Electrician
Yes, he said I am not understanding and brushed me off. I spoke with the Chief inspector and he said he thinks its ok that we are going from one strip to another but not to go from the strip to the exit light. Not sure if there are any other code sections which allow me to feed the exit signs directly from the strip fixtures. The more code sections I can present to make my case the better.

D

Dell3c

I'm sorry to inform you but, your Field Code Enforcement Inspector was 100% accurate in my opinion. Your fixtures are not @ "end-to-end" assembly connection. Your exit light, is not part of the "direct line" of fixtures. Basically your using the last fixture as "junction box" outside of the direct line of fixtures.

CH287

Occupation
Electrician
So NEC 410.64C states that as long as the fixtures are acceptable to be wired "end to end" you can connect them with an approved Wiring method. MC is an approved wiring method. My fixture submittal states "end to end" The Submittal and the code does not say they must be connected within a certain distance. And yes this would not let me wire the exit signs in this manner. But is there another code section that would allow us to run to the exit sign from the Strip? I guess my point is that its not a different circuit. All the wire that is used for the exit is already in the strip fixture. It's not as if I'm running another circuit or any unused wire through the light that should not be there.

CH287

Occupation
Electrician
So basically I'm at the point where I'm going to rewire the exit signs. But after talking to the inspector he is still failing me for going in one side out the other. Which I don't think is accurate as for exception "C"
Also, not sure if this applies but NEC 300.15B allows equipment that has a junction box or wiring compartment to be used in lieu of a J-box.

Greentagger

Occupation
Master Electrician, Electrical Inspector
This section is poorly written. 410.64 lists 3 alternatives. (A), (B), OR (C). Seems as though your installation has met 1 or more of the ORs.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Wiring end to end, he is totally incorrect, go into any Orange or Blue box, and you will see all of the rack lighting looped end to end. If you are dropping a receptacle, or other power that is not related to the fixture, such as an Exit light, he probably has you there. But that is easy enough to get around. Put a 1900 box out at the end of the fixture, and pull the exit light circuit out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.