Damaged Buss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken9876

When to a home tonight, found an overloaded circuit which caused a Crouse Hinds slim breaker to over heat, loosen and arc. The problem is now the tab on the buss is damaged and the panel is full. There is no way to repair this panel correct? And installing a new breaker in that spot will only fail. Just looking for options trying to save these people some money, but the best thing would be to replace the panel.

sparky=t

When to a home tonight, found an overloaded circuit which caused a Crouse Hinds slim breaker to over heat, loosen and arc. The problem is now the tab on the buss is damaged and the panel is full. There is no way to repair this panel correct? And installing a new breaker in that spot will only fail. Just looking for options trying to save these people some money, but the best thing would be to replace the panel.

you could sell them a new service and rake it in or you could install a sub panel and help them enjoy christmas in this tough economy and get some referals along the way!? :D

kwired

Electron manager
Give them their options and your opinion but let them decide, this forum can help you with your opinion. What is the overall condition of everything involved? Are other breakers likely to start doing the same thing? I have not known Crouse-Hinds to be well known for excellent breaker to bus connection, especially on the main breaker connection.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
Remove all the other breakers and look at their condition. That will tell you a lot. Rarely do I see a house that cannot handle two bedrooms on a circuit. Double something up if they really cannot afford more.

This is what I'd do. It's pretty common to find other bus stabs starting to fail, but sometimes you get lucky and it's only the one.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.