Damamged THHN

Status
Not open for further replies.
iwire said:
Sure was a long trip to avoid the core issue that was asked in the OP.

There is no code reason that the plastic on THHN has to be repaired or the conductors replaced in 'normal' conditions. :)

Of course the customer may have stricter specs but that is another topic altogether.

See post, it has nothing to do with specs, it has to do with that it can no longer be considered a THHN:

http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?p=788592#poststop

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Laszlo, what does that post have to do with THHN, that was dealing with nylon rope :rolleyes: and NM.

Roger

celtic

weressl said:
Chinese whisper is a game where you whisper something into somebody else's ear and that somebody does the same thing to another person and so on. At the end of the chain, the last person announce what he heard. Most of the time it bears no resemblance to what you initially said.

I believe that is the case here.

The chinese firedrill is where untold amount of people running frenzied in all different direction without appearent purpose.

Both my posts linked to accurate descriptions of drill and whisper....this was definitley a drill :grin:

stickelec

IMO because the Nylon has a higher abrasion-resistance than PVC it should be considered an integral part of the overall "insulation package", when considering the use of THHN/THWN in Industrial applications. Especially where cabling within RMC might be exposed to vibration, which short of shoddy installation seems to be the No.1 culprit for failed wiring.

Do you suppose the manufacturer applies the Jacket to be helpful to the pullers, or is it so the insulating-layer can be kept to a minimum thickness. If the second part of the question applies, then it makes sense IMO that the Jacket should remain an integral part?

If we consider only dielectric strength in regard to insulation then I would use the analogy that an application of Scotch-88 only needs one-layer to maintain the insulation integrity.

76nemo

stickelec said:
IMO because the Nylon has a higher abrasion-resistance than PVC it should be considered an integral part of the overall "insulation package", when considering the use of THHN/THWN in Industrial applications. Especially where cabling within RMC might be exposed to vibration, which short of shoddy installation seems to be the No.1 culprit for failed wiring.

Do you suppose the manufacturer applies the Jacket to be helpful to the pullers, or is it so the insulating-layer can be kept to a minimum thickness. If the second part of the question applies, then it makes sense IMO that the Jacket should remain an integral part?

If we consider only dielectric strength in regard to insulation then I would use the analogy that an application of Scotch-88 only needs one-layer to maintain the insulation integrity.

I do NOT believe for one minute that tape is rated for more than one completed turn. I give it at least three, but the tape is proofed per layer.

76nemo

76nemo said:
I do NOT believe for one minute that tape is rated for more than one completed turn. I give it at least three, but the tape is proofed per layer.[/QUOTE

I jumped on that too quick. You meant withholding the integrity of the original wire's insulation. At first I thought you meant tape was rated for more than one completed turn. Sorry stick.

Status
Not open for further replies.