Damp location

The electron man

Occupation
Electrician
My first question is Would a garage with no with windows or a door be considered a damp location

And second do you need a gfci in a damp location ?

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
But can I use bx in a damp location ?
Might want to review 320.10 & 320.12 or 330.10 & 330.12 depending what you are calling BX as this cable type is not in the code. But no can't be used in a damp location for AC cable, but if MC with a jacket it can be, Maybe.

BX is Flexible Metal Conduit article 348
NO, FMC is a "conduit" that wire is introduced into not prewired. Look at the name "Conduit" 348.12 also prohibits FMC in wet locations. This is a different product than LFMC that can be used in wet locations. Neither of these types have prewired and contractor will introduce the wire into them.
Neither is what was tradition "old" wire type BX. Traditional BX was sort of something between MC and AC types oldest had no grounding conductor, then came one with very small insulated grounding conductor.
New AC will have a bonding strip to bond the sheath sections, MC will have a full size insulated grounding conductor.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Might want to review 320.10 & 320.12 or 330.10 & 330.12 depending what you are calling BX as this cable type is not in the code. But no can't be used in a damp location for AC cable, but if MC with a jacket it can be, Maybe.

NO, FMC is a "conduit" that wire is introduced into not prewired. Look at the name "Conduit" 348.12 also prohibits FMC in wet locations. This is a different product than LFMC that can be used in wet locations. Neither of these types have prewired and contractor will introduce the wire into them.
Neither is what was tradition "old" wire type BX. Traditional BX was sort of something between MC and AC types oldest had no grounding conductor, then came one with very small insulated grounding conductor.
New AC will have a bonding strip to bond the sheath sections, MC will have a full size insulated grounding conductor.
I stand corrected.
Insert: embarrassed emoji