Data Center whips

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcapp

a vendor is selling seal-tite whips to a customer maintaining that the whip has to be listed. My response was, you can assemble your own whip as long as all the parts are listed. We're talking
connectors, seal-tite, wire, etc. Is my statement

iwire

Staff member
Re: Data Center whips

Originally posted by jcapp:
a vendor is selling seal-tite whips to a customer maintaining that the whip has to be listed. My response was, you can assemble your own whip as long as all the parts are listed. We're talking
connectors, seal-tite, wire, etc. Is my statement
It gets a little strange.

If we make the whips in the field we must support the LFMC per the NEC.

Factory assembled UL listed LFMC whips need not be supported.

645.5(E) Securing in Place. Power cables; communications cables; connecting cables; interconnecting cables; and associated boxes, connectors, plugs, and receptacles that are listed as part of, or for, information technology equipment shall not be required to be secured in place.

ron

Re: Data Center whips

Bob is 100% correct.
One thing to keep in mind; many datacenters choose not to use the leniencies permitted by 645. If your client doesn't use the leniencies in 645, then they don't need all of the reliability nightmares required by 645.2 (2002 version).
If they don't follow the optional 645, then the whips don't need to be UL listed, but must be secured per chapter 4 methods.

[ April 08, 2005, 06:33 PM: Message edited by: ron ]

Status
Not open for further replies.