DB Projects

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Any of you guys bid on desing build projects?
We are looking into bidding this project delivery method but unsure how to approach them. Sure there's a lot more exposure and risk.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
Most of my work is residential design-build.

I also do some small commercial design-build stuff.

What kind of risk and exposure are you anticipating?

I usually like it because the designer and contractor are one. And I have a good rapport with the people I work for. I'm usually involved with design if it's tricky, and I'm trusted enough to make some changes without asking.

But the biggest problems have always come when there's not a certain plan before beginning. I try to stay away from those kinds of contractors because they'll ask for a bid from you with a completely uncertain scope of work, then they try to act like your price is all-inclusive regardless of changes or additions.

Those dysfunctional types always have more change orders, they always create the least happy customers, and never can keep subs

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Most of my work is residential design-build.

I also do some small commercial design-build stuff.

What kind of risk and exposure are you anticipating?

I usually like it because the designer and contractor are one. And I have a good rapport with the people I work for. I'm usually involved with design if it's tricky, and I'm trusted enough to make some changes without asking.

But the biggest problems have always come when there's not a certain plan before beginning. I try to stay away from those kinds of contractors because they'll ask for a bid from you with a completely uncertain scope of work, then they try to act like your price is all-inclusive regardless of changes or additions.

Those dysfunctional types always have more change orders, they always create the least happy customers, and never can keep subs
Exposure meaning you are on the hook for completely designing the job and the uknowns at the time of bid.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
Exposure meaning you are on the hook for completely designing the job and the uknowns at the time of bid.
That's what I meant with starting the job without a certain plan.

Some want to have 50-70% designed, primarily code required stuff, and figure the rest out as the job progresses.

Even if you don't start out involved in the design, you're going to be involved.

If it's someone new, I always ask how they handle fluidity in the scope. That can tell you a lot.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
In many localities, the qualification to design depends on the construction and/or occupancy types.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child

The way to mitigate risk is to stay in your lane. You need to be intimately familiar with the requirements and cost of the project type.

That’s having a solid understanding of code requirements, AHJ and utility requirements.

This will always start with budgeting, and that takes prior experience in the job type to have an accurate budget.

You can always hire your own EE if needed. The fees in my area are 3%-10% of contract value, depending on how involved you need them to be.

On the lighting side, manufacturer reps will provide layouts and BOM for a fee.

Smaller jobs are pretty easy to keep in-house. I’ve done it enough that most project architects will stamp my drawings. If it’s a big project or they don’t know you, they’ll want you get your own EE to either design it or approve your design. Some RFP’s are going to have a blanket requirement for PE’s to stamp everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.