DC voltage wiring in home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rampage_Rick

Same thing with the Volt. Gas engine is started by a motor/generator off the 360V battery. Computers and accessories are run off a 12V battery, charged via a DC-DC converter. A/C and heat are powered off the 360V bus.

If the 12V battery is dead there's nothing to boot the computers and energize the 360V bus. However, because you don't have to crank the engine it should only require a few amps to jump start. Excluding the load from the dead battery, it should be possible to jump start with 8 D batteries. Once the computers boot they will energize the 360V bus and everything will run off the DC-DC converter. It shouldn't be possible to run the 360V completely dead; since it's Lithium-ion it would probably require replacement.

kwired

Electron manager
If the swap were made, I think we would get over it - relatively quickly. Cause that sounds exactly like what my granddad said when they switched from 6V to 12V. :roll:

ice

I have an old Farmall tractor - probably belongs in antique shows but I still use it. Was originally equipped with a 6 volt electric system. When generator went bad on many of those tractors they just fit them with a 12 volt alternator and put a resistor in series with the ignition coil. If they wanted lights to work they would need to make changes there, otherwise the starter motor was left as is and seems to be able to take it.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
I have an old Farmall tractor - probably belongs in antique shows but I still use it. Was originally equipped with a 6 volt electric system. When generator went bad on many of those tractors they just fit them with a 12 volt alternator and put a resistor in series with the ignition coil. If they wanted lights to work they would need to make changes there, otherwise the starter motor was left as is and seems to be able to take it.

Lots of people with old cars have switched from 6 to 12 volts. Everything is fairly simple swap to 12 volts, except for the gauges. They required a 6 volt limiter. I got to put many of them in some super cool cars years ago when DC was my thang.

Status
Not open for further replies.