De-rating wire in Wireduct

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
IMO derating should be considered for the branch circuiting in situation like this:

tK4j1GnmeG07yxBsMgkxV9o5paI0zwlKMWKT5sR1P5J5eCIwzV7KbTDyRqN9__5lhItVBqppylWIYhd_llRHgoRq9iLXM7u-jUENuxY39CNoAPizYg95Lr2a6ruwzfZiLdZAMqwIZ8ySV-Bbv3mpYuXTd6J6cRHfWOOP0Y81d4UbTSMG6yITPTSOdnROueTv9dQnM1bjpqu0rt9sL_VF1HqSe7XJpIva9LhHvfHj--0SgX9XXoXb_0qoz6_VedtZ2hXxjYrifC8pZhdtEcFY2efrTMez9JPVLMvpoMvOlslSVWaYmNqVmqYX0vdNmv20UnFecGd-_JTEGuVvC9ky-t3Wj4ud7p7Oa9EjquJ69P3rhBy3Ul0sBhY0K3XDy7wyXWxjMrlfPE3sQrOP82z3EnoHv24oMOS0iWqwHewktHdt0vRaXuZx6sPIL3DP_P8mS62XioFaI3SW5ud6KZuU_6qnaePt9g0xz_xf7eFw6mf1WCsgQMktoTQVjOnWKXgVGj4ZFN5CMIOwtXh_Pr96cdpc5SlW-4YVK3QkaAhjgEoauDwnhZbuo7IM8q2Zr90QWCtz=w1035-h1380-no

I was doing some IR scans today that prove that to be the case.

donaldelectrician

But how do you determine the ampacity with the physics (enclosure v. raceway) not the same.

Is bundle on ladder-type cable tray different than bundles in wireway

I was thinking the same thing ....

Derating will seem to follow more a long as in a Pan or a Traugh ....Wire way ... # of conductors across a certain area ...

There is NO Pipe restriction for heat to gather .,,,

Cotinious or not shall matter .

Don

Smart $

Esteemed Member
So you are saying there are no NEC ampacities for inside enclosures?
In a sense yes, if you want to put it that way.

What I am saying is ampacity is determined outside the box (pun intended :thumbsup:) and that's all that is required by the NEC.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
In a sense yes, if you want to put it that way.

What I am saying is ampacity is determined outside the box (pun intended :thumbsup:) and that's all that is required by the NEC.
Ok, then where does the section I quoted that talks about single conductors being bundled for 24" or more and not installed in a raceway apply?
In my opinion it applies to the control panel in the pictures that are in this thread and also within vertical and horizontal wireways in a MCC.
That being said, the exception in 310.15(A)(2) would often apply to those applications.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Ok, then where does the section I quoted that talks about single conductors being bundled for 24" or more and not installed in a raceway apply?

In my opinion it applies to the control panel in the pictures that are in this thread and also within vertical and horizontal wireways in a MCC.
Perhaps areas of intent... perhaps not. We may be able to go back through the proposal(s)—nka public inputs—to glean more of the intent, but a well written section requires no such action.

As to where the clause does apply... everywhere the applicable Article 310 Table conductors are bundled for 24" or more and not installed in a raceway. Nothing has changed... perhaps only your perception of the requirement.

That being said, the exception in 310.15(A)(2) would often apply to those applications.
How can we apply that section if we cannot assign an ampacity? How do we know this short portion of the circuit has a higher or lower ampacity?

Historically, have we even applied that section or have we simply ignored the ampacity for that portion of the circuit? I lean towards the latter.

iwire

Staff member
I was thinking the same thing ....

Derating will seem to follow more a long as in a Pan or a Traugh ....Wire way ... # of conductors across a certain area ...

There is NO Pipe restriction for heat to gather .,,,

Cotinious or not shall matter .

Don

You don't need a pipe to 'gather heat', all you need is a number of current carrying conductors bundled together.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
When I transition from wireway to conduit to cable tray, I expect to encounter 3 different ampacities for the conductors in the same cable... right?

If yes to the preceding, why should I not expect a different ampacity where the sheath and/or armor are stripped from the conductors and installed inside a large box... sometimes with other wires, sometimes with other equipment that generate heat?

If I run a circuit conductor entirely within a cabinet, what table do I use to determine ampacity?

Status
Not open for further replies.